News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reinstall Office 365

Posted on veteran Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        veteran
        AskWoody Lounger

Should Office 365 be deleted before reinstalling?  Thank you

• #2313180 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Only if you want to switch from 32-bit to 64-bit Microsoft 365 (or vice versa):

Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2019 on a PC or Mac

• #2313182 Reply
        veteran
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for the reply.  I’ve been advised to reinstall due to problems with Office Update.  Don’t care which bit.  So, delete from Programs and Features before reinstalling?

• #2313193 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

Don’t care which bit.  So, delete from Programs and Features before reinstalling?

The 64-bit default is now much more common than a few years ago.

Uninstall first if you wish; it’s not required if 32/64 is the same.

Repair may be quicker: Repair an Office application

• #2313197 Reply
        veteran
        AskWoody Lounger

Repair did not help. Am I better off downloading that repair tool rather than uninstalling it via Programs/Features?

For past c. 2 weeks, Office Updates has given me error message 0XC0000142. Microsoft technician suggested I uninstall then reinstall. Are you suggesting I don’t have to uninstall first?  Thanks for the clarification.

(Have Microsoft Office 365, personal)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by veteran.
      • #2313209 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

You should not have to uninstall to do an online repair. However, if you have already tried an online repair uninstalling is fairly quick. I’d try the uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. Reinstalling should not be a problem.

--Joe

• #2313211 Reply
        veteran
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you both very much indeed!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        b
        • #2313541 Reply
          joep517
          AskWoody MVP

BTW, I’m not entirely sure but if you use the uninstall tool instead of control panel you may lose all your customizations and email settings. A repair, even an online repair, preserves the settings.

--Joe

• #2313546 Reply
            mn–
            AskWoody Lounger

… and the repair may actually do a remove and then reinstall, in some cases.

And because it preserves settings, certain kinds of errors aren’t fixed.

Like that one weird thing the other year that caused Outlook to get a really wrong definition of the primary mailbox… yes, regular Business Premium package Exchange Online mailbox… “repair” caused all of Office local applications to go missing for a full day, including from installed software listing – it did come back but the problem was still there too. An expert then came and fixed it in-place with MFCMAPI, but…

• #2313521 Reply
        alphacharlie
        AskWoody Plus

OK, I am confused and hope that someone here will straighten me out.

I thought that Office 365 was an entirely browser-based way to use Office, meaning that one could log in to it from pretty much any browser on any machine.  So there would be little or nothing to install.  Is that idea completely wrong?

We have one year-old PC that uses Office 365 with an annual auto-pay subscription.  If that machine is offline, can I use Office 365 from an entirely different PC?  What is allowed for  the typical single-user Office 365 license?

Thank you from an old geek still using Office 2010.

• #2313526 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

Office 365 is now called Microsoft 365.

It’s wrong that it can only be used in a browser:

Overview

With a subscription to Microsoft 365, you can get:

The latest Office apps, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

The ability to install on PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones.

1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage.

Feature updates and upgrades not available anywhere else.

What is Microsoft 365?

A single-user license (Microsoft 365 Personal) allows you to install the Office apps on unlimited devices and use Office on up to five of them concurrently. You would have to use the same Microsoft Account for installation and updates (but only online every 31 days).

You can also use Office programs in a browser (by signing in with the Microsoft Account):

Get started with Office for the web in Microsoft 365

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by b.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reinstall Office 365

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.