• Relocate files on Win7 HD

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 7 » Questions: Windows 7 » Relocate files on Win7 HD

Author
    Topic

I have a 1TB platter drive on my Acer desktop. It’s about 25% used but there is a small cluster of files at around 800GB. I’ve tried a defragger but the cluster is OK and therefore not moved. What utility could I use to move them down to another unused space so that I can shrink the partition and make space for a dual boot Linux combo?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

you could use auslogics defrag portable (free) and use optimise/defrag files which moves data towards the beginning of the hard-disk in a condensed cluster of data.
      https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-Auslogics-Disk-Defrag.shtml

Do you know if only a selected cluster can be moved? I just need to get one group relocated to solve my problem.

This project is on my other PC at a different house so will try it tomorrow.

no everything is moved to the beginning of the HDD. It’s free and works well on Win 7/8 & 10

I started the defrag yesterday so it should be done by now. I’ll do it again with packing and stop it when those two clusters are relocated. I hope it starts at the high end first but it probably does not. I’m also going to investigate RescueZilla first to see if it has anything like I need.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    Reply To: Relocate files on Win7 HD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: