News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Remote admin gadget

Posted on oblivion Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Admin IT Lounge Remote admin gadget

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        oblivion
        AskWoody Plus

So I recently discovered a freebie gadget called the Customizable Remote Administration Panel.

(I’m reasonably confident that the acronym wasn’t exactly an accident.)

Fundamentally, it’s a little Windows shortcut maker thingy that remembers remote server / machine names for you and lets you create shortcuts that will be fired at the stored machine name you select.

It’s been around for some years, but my discovery was relatively recent. It took me a while to work out how to use it, how to make it work well for me, but it’s become invaluable and I’m kind of evangelising it a bit.

I should also say that because it took me a while to understand how to use it, I contacted the author and offered to write some documentation for it. He took me up on the offer with some enthusiasm, along with a couple of suggestions I made for improvements, so it’s now got a help file with worked examples, screenshots, how-tos, all that.

It doesn’t give you anything you don’t already have the means to do. But if like me you often spend a couple of minutes trying to remember the correct syntax for shutdown so you can reboot a networked PC at a distance along with getting all the quote marks in the right place for runas, or anything else that’s a bit awkward to do repeatedly at arm’s length, you might well find it useful.

It’s at https://www.lunarious.com/

As I said, it’s free, and I have no financial interest in this — I’m just an enthusiastic user and the author of its help file.

If you’re not a sysadmin or whatnot, it’s likely of limited or no interest to you. If you are, give it a try.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279149 Reply
        OlderGeeks.com
        AskWoody_MVP

We would love to add this to the OlderGeeks.com download database but the license file says no file distribution “at this time”. Can you get us an answer on adding it?

• #2282690 Reply
          oblivion
          AskWoody Plus

As I understand it, the author prefers the flexibility to make fast amendments that insisting people link to the page on his site rather than directly to the download creates.

My own take on this is that while it’s a great tool, its potential audience is relatively limited.

Have you taken a look for yourselves? I’d be interested to know if you found the help, er, helpful and I’m sure the author would be interested in any feedback too.

Both of us have subscribed to both the relevant and related pages on the donationcoder site (which I thoroughly recommend for all sorts of reasons, not least of which is a sense of community not dissimilar to this place) so if you feel that you’d rather discuss  the program somewhere where all the vested interests are paying attention, please do.

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Remote admin gadget

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.