News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Remote assistance capability

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Remote assistance capability

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kirsty 6 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author

anonymous

Having (finally and reluctantly) moved from 7 to 10 I dug out your Dummies book purchased years ago.  In it you state that Remote assistance capability is not only the greatest thing since sliced bread but the greatest thing since Adam and Eve were chucked out of the Garden of Eden.  If I was one of the many scam artists who want me to allow them remote access to my computer I would certainly agree.  (If bored I like to string them along for half an hour or so)

That facility has definitely cost a lot of people a lot of money and is a bit like putting a self destruct button labelled “For emergency Use Only” in your car.

• #2012837 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

While I agree the capability has enormous potential for scams, it does have its uses – when used very carefully!

I wonder if you have an old version of the Windows 10 for Dummies book, as the 2nd and 3rd Editions state this at the start of the section:

Windows has long boasted the Remote Assistance feature, which lets a person on
      one computer control a second computer, long distance, while both watch what’s
      on the screen. It’s a great puppet/puppet master capability that allows someone
      to solve your problems remotely while you watch. (Or, if you’re the guru, Remote
      Assistance allows you to solve others’ problems while they watch.)

If you’re looking at these instructions because someone you don’t know wants to
      get into your computer, stop. Right now. Seriously. Stop. Ask yourself how much
      you know about the person who’s trying to look at your PC. Do you trust her to
      take control of your PC — is it possible she’ll pull a fast one on you, even drop an
      infected file? If you have any qualms at all, DON’T DO IT. Scammers love to talk
      people into using Remote Assistance because they get full control over the PC, and
      if they work fast enough (or talk fast enough to convince you that what they’re
      doing is legitimate), they can easily plant anything they want on your computer.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Remote assistance capability

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.