News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Remote Desktop applications

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Remote Desktop applications

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi folks!

I was just wondering, why in Windows 10 are there two applications for the same purpose?
        In the time, whe everything is considered as security risk and everything has to be patched because possible attack, why are there two different apps for the same thing? I know this is common in Windows 10 (pbrush and pbrush 3D, snipping and snip and sketch, two control panels, IE and Edge/chredge, etc.), but whats the point of this? Isnt this contra-productive to maintain two apps at the same time?
        When security risk is patched, does this fix both remote desktop apps, or what?
        Which one is safer to use? Which one is the one we should use? I do not like new W10 interface so I stick with mstsc, but you get my point.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, WX 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by doriel. Reason: oh grammar
        Attachments:
      • #2111983 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

RDP security issues and patches are usually for the common protocol, not the GUI front end program.

I don’t remember seeing a security advice bulletin involving RDP which affected a particular client.

Remote Desktop Services: Compare the client apps

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Remote Desktop applications

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.