News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Removal of Chromium Edge in 20H2?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update Removal of Chromium Edge in 20H2?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

After a browser discussion with PKCano, I investigated further to find out whether it is indeed possible to remove Chromium based Edge from 20H2.
        Couple of thoughts/ concerns triggered were..how does this affect file Integrity? and or whether it’s only short-term before it’s planted on your W10 device?
        For those who do not wish to use it in favour of another browser, this may be an option but, for how long…..??

After all, it’s not very often one gets an opportunity to help PKCano!

1. Right-click on the Edge browser desktop shortcut and choose Open file location.
        This will open a folder where Edge browser is installed.
        2. Find a version sub-folder (named after the Edge browser version installed such as 89.0.774.68) in the folder you opened in step 1.
        Then open another sub-folder inside the version folder named installer.
        You should be able to see setup.exe in this folder.
        Copy the path of the installer folder by pressing Alt+D and then Ctrl+C.
        3. Launch PowerShell (or Command Prompt) with administrator level access.
        For this, just click on File and then Open Windows Powershell with administrator in the folder.
        4. In the PowerShell window, paste the path you copied in step 2 by right-clicking in the window.
        Then append a back slash () followed by setup.exe –uninstall –system-level and press Enter.
        5. You will now see the usual prompt for uninstalling Microsoft Edge browser. In this window, click on the Uninstall button.
        6. After the Edge (Chromium based) browser has been uninstalled,
        you will be informed about the uninstallation through a message being displayed in the old Edge browser.

Chredge

The methodology behind this seems viable to me..although my previous concerns are unanswered…

Source: https://www.trishtech.com/2021/04/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge-chromium-based-browser-from-windows-10/

Try at your own risk and remember to backup prior to making changes and drop a post here to let us know how it goes, if you dare..those with a VM know what to do 😉

I ain’t doing W10 full stop.
        Having a much better experience with reliability still using Win7 and 8.1

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Chromium Edge will be the default browser installed with Win10 21H1. Legacy Edge is being removed with the April security updates for 20H2.

You are free to install any other browser, make it the default, and use it.

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        PKCano
        Manager

OK, Feedback. I tried this on my v20H2 Build 19042.870

I tried PowerShell. Never could get the syntax right.
        Ended up in an elevated Command Prompt – this worked:

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\89.0.774.68\Installer"
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\89.0.774.68\Installer\setup.exe" -uninstall -system-level

It seemed to remove ChrEdge – I got the “Uninstall notice.”
        But the Registry “preventative” was already there:
        HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate
        DWORD DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium Value (1)

Edge is supposed to be installed by default with the April Windows Update. I suspect this install came through the March OOB KB5001649 already loaded with April goodies. I doubt it will stay away. We’ll see when I do April updates.

Attachments:
        2 users thanked author for this post.
          EP
          AskWoody_MVP

“Edge is supposed to be installed by default with the April Windows Update. I suspect this install came through the March OOB KB5001649 already loaded with April goodies.”

that behavior was also like that with the KB5000842 preview update (1904x.906) as I tested & installed that update myself

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Removal of Chromium Edge in 20H2?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.