News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Remove Dell’s pre-installed 30 day Microsoft Office Trial

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Questions: Microsoft Office Remove Dell’s pre-installed 30 day Microsoft Office Trial

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        EricB
        AskWoody Plus

Dell shipped my system with a pre-installed Office 30 day Trial.  There is no entry for Office and its constituent applications in Control Panel’s Programs and Features.  Entries for “Office” and “Microsoft Office Desktop Apps” apps are enumerated in Settings->Apps->Apps & Features.  From Dell’s documentation at https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000145469/microsoft-office-2016-is-now-installed-by-default-as-a-microsoft-store-application it seems that the Office Trial was installed from the Microsoft Store.

I use my system with a local account and do not have a Microsoft Store account nor do I intend to obtain one.  I have never attempted to start or activate any of the Office apps.

Since I do not have a Microsoft Store Account I am concerned that attempting to uninstall the Office Trial may create more problems than just leaving them alone.

Am I just being overly cautious?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by EricB.
        b
        AskWoody MVP

Yes. I don’t see how uninstalling them could cause any problems.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1052 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

See if this works for you
        settings > system > notifications & actions > scroll down to Microsoft Store > turn it off
        I’m not sure, but if it doesn’t work within the 30-day free trial period, try it afterward.

About being overly cautious, I’m not overly cautious but I don’t want to be nagged as time goes on since I don’t need the Microsoft Store on my Dell PC.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Job48
        AskWoody Plus

I build my own desktops and so do not use a vendor supplied installation of Win10 (Pro).  I download the ISOs directly from Microsoft.  I have observed that Microsoft provides trial links to Office as part of Windows installations.  I doubt that what you have is something Dell customized.

I’ve uninstalled in Apps & Features every reference to Office before installing my perpetual license for Office and never found any consequences.

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

The Microsoft Office 30 day Trial was definitely preinstalled by Dell.  It appears as a line item on the Dell invoice.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I removed it from my new Dell a few days ago, along with mcafee. No issues.

cheers, Paul

Ascaris
          AskWoody MVP

I had those on my Dell G3 (which came with Windows 10) also when it was new,and I removed them with no issues. Windows still worked fine.

That’s one neat thing with my new XPS. There (apparently) is no Linux bloatware, so nothing to remove. Of course, that didn’t mean I left Ubuntu (with GNOME) on there… soon as I learned all I needed to about the default installation, out it went.

There are two Dell programs preinstalled on Linux. One is a support assistant thing, and the other is a rescue media builder, which builds an Ubuntu reinstaller from the recovery partition, much as it would be with a Windows system. That and some custom drivers were all that I saw that was not standard Ubuntu stuff.

I had read years ago about some other Dell, where people had been begging Dell to have a Linux OEM version without Windows, and when it came, they were shocked that it cost more, not less. But Linux is free, and Windows costs Dell money! How could it be?

Apparently, the bloatware like McAfee and such subsidized the cost of Windows, and part of the cost of the hardware. With no bloatware, there was no subsidy.

Or maybe they just thought it would cost them more to support it, with most of their tech force geared toward Windows.

My model (“Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition”) did not come with a Windows option, so I can’t compare directly what it would have been with Windows. This one has the i5 with 16 GB of RAM, and the Windows version I saw didn’t offer that combo… to get 16 GB, you had to upgrade to the i7, for another $200.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.22.0 User Edition)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Remove Dell’s pre-installed 30 day Microsoft Office Trial

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.