News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Remove Special Folders Windows 10 All Versions

Posted on bbearren Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Remove Special Folders Windows 10 All Versions

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Some of us don’t appreciate the “Special Folders” feature in Windows 10 File Explorer.  I got rid of them first in Windows 7, and I’ve continued to get rid of them in Windows 10.  They’ve come back a couple of times with a version update, so I wrote a .reg file that gets rid of them in one fell swoop.

This involves deleting a number of registry keys and editing a few values, and it’s not for everyone, by any means.  But for those experienced with registry editing, I’ve added a section to my web site that offers the option.

File Explorer.  No guarantees, use at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2263031 Reply
        anonymous

Winaero Tweaker has had this facility under File Explorer/ Customize This PC Folders for years, with the added customisation of making your own ‘special folders’ It also has a multitude of other invaluable tweaks within the utility without the need for registry editing. These changes can also be saved as an .ini file for backing up (at default and post active changes) and is my preferred option. https://winaero.com/index.php

• #2263051 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do.  I don’t care for “tweaker” apps.  I want to know what’s going on under the hood, and I want control of the processes.  I made my own special partitions (not special folders) many years ago; no need to step backward.  For me, tweakers are in the same class as registry cleaners; I’d rather not.

In addition, I prefer more granular control of what goes where and how in my Windows installations, and I separate the OS from Program Files from Users into their own partitions.

Put another way, using a tweaker app is like doing a reformat/reinstall to clear up problems; the only thing one actually learns is how to use the tweaker app, or how to reformat/reinstall; it doesn’t teach a thing about what’s going on inside Windows.  For me, there’s much more to be gained by learning about what’s going on inside Windows.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2263192 Reply
            J C
            AskWoody Lounger

Agree to a point, but not everyone wants to or even has the knowledge to firstly understand, then work out fixes, then test, then apply. In fact, the official category called “users” just don’t care, if it fixes an annoyance all well and good.

Having said that, I write my own batch files for all sorts of basic stuff – custom folders and storage areas, resizing images, creating custom music albums, etc. And for the same reason as you. I also have a selection of registry edits squirreled away that mimic the tweaker app mentioned above, but since that app has appeared I haven’t used them, as the app is quicker and does the same thing.

Also have a series of backup regedits from and XP that once I used them just kept them and revisited perhaps 5/6 times since 2003 until I changed to W10 just after it came out. However the batch files are different – I’d be lost if they disappeared, so have them saved in about five different locations.

Now if I can just remember where I put them!!

Curious, questioning, inquisitive, yet dementious! Anything else is irrelevant. Be warned!
            • #2263287 Reply
              bbearren
              AskWoody MVP

Agree to a point, but not everyone wants to or even has the knowledge to firstly understand, then work out fixes, then test, then apply. In fact, the official category called “users” just don’t care, if it fixes an annoyance all well and good.

In the OP the link to the .reg file is to a section on my web site, “For experienced users and those users who wish to become more experienced.”  I’m targeting those who do care, not those who don’t.  The OP is “…for those experienced with registry editing, I’ve added a section to my web site that offers the option.”

I added that section to my web site because I kept getting requests for it from those who do care.  With a “tweaker” app, I don’t know what else it is doing along with (hopefully) accomplishing my goals, and that part of it I don’t care for in the least.

Using my own methods, I know precisely what is going on and where, which leads me directly to where and how to fine-tune the technique until it does exactly what I want, and nothing else.

My web site is not, and will not be monetized in any way.  There are no ads, and I don’t use cookies.  It’s all on my dime, and it’s there for those users who do care.  I don’t have comments enabled, just a “Contact Me’ link at the bottom of every page to email me.  I’ve received a lot of email in the years since the site has been active, but never a negative email.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by bbearren. Reason: context
      • #2269104 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

The 2004 update make numerous and significant changes to the registry entries for Special Folders.  I have ferreted all of them out, and updated my File Explorer section of my website with the new registry entries.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Remove Special Folders Windows 10 All Versions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.