News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Repair USB stick function

Home Forums Outside the box Rants Repair USB stick function

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Dunno if it belongs to Fun or Rants, but I am somehow angry so..

Windows 10 + USB flash disk.

I plugged in the USB flash disk to copy my data on.
        Window appeared stating, that this USB stick has to be repaired, because it contains errors.
        So I clicked Scan and repair.

Another window appeared stating that my USB needs to be repaired, so I clicked Scan for errors (recommended) button again, just to be sure I clicked the correct button in the first place.

And behold. result was “no errors were found.”

Is this a joke? Winows is flooded with features like this. This is so typical. Two contradictionary statements in one minute, one negating the other.

hahaha

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

Attachments:
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2284509 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

I never get used to this (nonsence?) . After a couple of negative experiences I normally do a manual admin “chkdsk /f “, and when that is not sufficient a restart does miracles. 😇

Moderator Edit: Please don’t quote full post, as the assumption should be that you are on topic.

~ ~ ~
      • #2284560 Reply
        Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

You were right to put this information in Rants. I’ve read about so many nonsensical, crazy problems with Win 10 over the past five years that I’ll not have Win 10 on a computer that I paid good money for.  Yes, in my opinion Win 10 is a joke.  There are those who will no doubt disagree with me but I’m becoming fond of Linux and I see that as what I’ll be using from now on.  I still really like my Win 7 which will become part of my “hall of fame” eventually along with Win XP which I still have and use off line.

Win 7, Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, Linux Mint 19.1, Klaatu barada nikto

• #2286638 Reply
        rick41
        AskWoody Plus

The last two times I received a similar warning (on Win 7), the “repair” wiped all data off the USB stick.  (In both cases I had a backup of the content on my pc.) So for a year I’ve always chosen to ignore the warning with no problems.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Repair USB stick function

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.