News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Repeated Blue Screens Win10 v1909

Posted on Casey H Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Repeated Blue Screens Win10 v1909

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Greetings All –

I have an old laptop, a Dell Vostro 3300. It has a Dell 07JC8T A00 board with an Intel i5M  2.4 Ghz processor and 6 Gb DDR 3 memory.  BIOS 1s A12.  WIN 1909 Pro has the May updates.  This is not my primary computer; I use it mainly for experimentation.  It originally came with WIN 7 and has nicely survived the initial transition to WIN 10 and the series of feature updates leading to the present configuration.  A couple of weeks ago I experienced this computer’s first BSOD, and last night once again.  In both cases I was watching a NETFLIX movie using the new Chromium based Edge browser.  I tried inserting an image from bluescreenview, but it is not readable.  Both BSOD instances announced a ntoskernl.exe driver issue with the first instance having a bug check string of memory management and the 2nd a bug check string of Critical Process Died.  I’m not sure of what if any other values in that lengthy table might be of use.  I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic without issue, and Dell has no updated drivers for this thing.  It didn’t even make the original WIN 10 compatibility list, but it has run great for the 3 years I’ve had it. As always, any advice is appreciated.

Casey H.

• #2277956 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Images are best taken with Windows Snipping Tool, save as PNG and upload.

cheers, Paul

• #2277996 Reply
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Greetings –

Here are some images taken from Bluescreenview:

Image 1 is the left side of the top pane

Image 2 is the right side of the top pane

Image 3 is from the bottom pane with CRITICAL PROCESS DIED highlighted

Image 4 is from the bottom pane with MEMORY MANAGEMENT highlighted.

I removed the date & file name columns to make room.  I also didn’t include everything.  Memory management was the first crash.

Casey H.

Capture-2

Capture-3

Capture-4

Attachments:
      • #2278000 Reply
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Looks like Image 1 didn’t make it on the first go.

Casey H.

Capture-1

Attachments:
      • #2278159 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

what kind of graphics hardware does the Dell Vostro 3300 laptop use, Casey H?

run Speccy or HWInfo to gather more specs of that Dell laptop, including audio and video/graphics.

maybe up the RAM from 6Gb to at least 8Gb or higher (meaning install a pair of 4gig DDR3 RAM sticks [2x4gb] of identical speed) – Win10 x64 works best with at least 8 gigs of RAM and with identical speeds; using RAM chips with different speeds sometimes lead to bsod problems

or try watching NETFLIX thru Firefox instead of Chrome and see if you get the same problem

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by EP.
      • #2278351 Reply
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Speccy says:

Audio: High definition audio device; NVIDIA High Definition Audio (listed 4 times)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Dell); Driver version 8.15.10.2900

& NVIDIA Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (Dell); Driver version 10.0.18362.1

More memory is not in this computer’s future.  It also needs a new battery.  Once the hassle becomes too great, it will be time for a new one.  As mentioned earlier, this is the first set of bluescreens this computer has experienced.  It has performed flawlessly through the WIN 7/10 transition and has survived all of 10’s feature and quality updates until now.  There have been no hardware changes. and the only software change was moving old Edge to new Edge.  No issues the last couple of days with several hours spent on NETFLIX.

Casey H.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Repeated Blue Screens Win10 v1909

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.