News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Replacement file updater

Posted on jhvance Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Alex5723 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

jhvance
      AskWoody Lounger

It seems the venerable Filehippo updater may have become a zombie website at the end of June, as there have been no file updates posted since the 28th and very few “news” postings beyond that date.  I took a look at the Wikipedia page and got their owner’s name (Well Known Media) and website, but their site is now defunct as the domain registry has expired according to WHOIS.

It’s unclear whether WKM has some intention of selling their asset to another party who will resurrect and sustain it, or if the FH site is actually a zombie and will disappear when its domain registry expires.  Having used FH consistently over much of the past 15 or so years it has existed, I may be looking for a new (trustworthy) update notification service as I had found FH to be a reliable and trustworthy clearinghouse.

Anyone have insight into the FH/WKM situation, or have recommendations for a replacement if they are truly defunct?

• #1875897 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

J.H.

I’ve always had good luck with MajorGeeks.com. Just read so you click on the right download link for the file you’re after.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1876047 Reply

jhvance
      AskWoody Lounger

I’ve used MG plenty of times, and it is among the alternatives I described as trustworthy but cumbersome — the FH app was a very handy post-boot summary of what it could find in a given system that required updating, not perfectly but adequately.  If FH is truly dead, then it’s back to the old-style manual approach for everything.

• #1876069 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

SUMo (free) is similar: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sumo.html

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Replacement file updater

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.