• Replacing Notepad

Author
    Topic

I dunno if I am the only one that has replaced notepad with a more robust editor.  If so, then, there is the long way (registry edits), and then the easy quick way.

https://www.binaryfortress.com/NotepadReplacer/Download/

Chuck Billow

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

I never replaced Notepad until I went to Windows 11, the original version always suited my needs. But the new UWP one is terrible.

What’s bad about it? No one ever seems to say what they don’t like.

For me, I found it just crashes when opening very large files that the old version could easily do.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          b

For me, I found it just crashes when opening very large files that the old version could easily do.

I got rid of the automatic opening in tabs via Notepad Settings, and I don’t have any issues with it now.  It hasn’t failed to open anything for me yet.

Always create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates; you may need to start over!
            We were all once "Average Users". We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do with our systems, we don't need anyone's approval, and we don't all have to do the same things.

I still use the old notepad on 11. It’s still there. Uninstalled the new one as one of my first steps on installing 11.

Never Say Never

Notepad++ FTW!
        Adopted as a replacement years ago on various installations.
        Once again changes are too little, too late from deadmond.
        MSFT have had YEARS to do something with the OS default notepad and done diddley squat in the realms of further useful functionality since Windows 3.11 in my experience.
        Teets on a bull IMO

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...

I switched to NotePad++ years ago and would never go back. The Compare plugin is priceless as well as the line numbering and code highlighting.

If you switch also down load the NPPLauncher, it’s beta, been there a long time, but it works great.

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Replacing Notepad

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: