News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Report from the field about ongoing Win7-Avira problems

Home Forums AskWoody blog Report from the field about ongoing Win7-Avira problems

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  woody 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Avira’s certainly had a tough time of it lately with multiple attempts to fix the Win7 and 8.1 patch bluescreens introduced in this month’s Patch Tues
      [See the full post at: Report from the field about ongoing Win7-Avira problems]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1065277 Reply

anonymous

If this information helps, I have a 32-bit Windows 7 PC here last updated on 2017-10-23 (for Windows Update) and running Avira Free Antivirus 15.0.45.1184 (updated today). There have been no problems. As for why no Windows Updates, it’s a legacy PC with a saved system image.

• #1089226 Reply

UAz
      AskWoody Lounger

I am the “anonymous” who reported about the 3 PCs.

Avira has evidently updated anew: On Monday morning, PC2 can access its user interface (avcenter.exe) again.

Before the update, the service “Avira.ServiceHost” was stopped, the other Avira services were running. Avira.ServiceHost could be activated, but avcenter.exe could still not be started. Without the avcenter window, the easy access to a manual update was blocked.

In the folder “C:\Programs (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\” the application “avconfig” for the settings can be started. There I set (reduced) the automatic update interval to the minimal 15 minutes, and then I left the machine online for 2,5 hours. It was then shut down, and this Monday morning, the initializing upon startup takes about half a minute and after that, the avcenter can be opened.

Since all services but one ran, there is a good chance that PC2 was always protected – except maybe during the startup initializing phase, when the software has not yet loaded completely? As a lay person, I can not know, and with a security solution I go for caution in case of doubt.

PC1 has just been updated with the April 2019 updates KB 4493448 and KB 4493435 (IE). No apparent problems at first sight (I’m writing from it).

The window control element problem persists, but is a problem of minor priority, compared to the other (form follows function). Since I do not use a more modern Windows version than 7 yet, I don’t know whether that issue is common to many apps designed for Windows 8 and 10, and not Avira-specific.

Many, many thanks and kind regards to all, who helped solve the problem during a weekend!
      UAz

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1105217 Reply

BusinessSellCanada
      AskWoody Lounger

To test if your Anti-Virus system is working (is still working) – you can go to: http://2016.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html and choose to “download” one of their virus “test” files.  These are NOT VIRUSES – they are TEST files that Anti-Virus programs will alarm at and say that they have “caught” a virus – which is really just the test file.  No harm or infection is done to your computer.

Depending on how your AV works – it will either alarm during the download; or perhaps not until you run (double click) the file in your download directory.

While not guaranteed – it’s a pretty good indication that your AV is working OK.

It’s a great test – whether you’ve been messing with MS updates or just not sure that your AV is still working.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1146180 Reply

AJNorth
      AskWoody Plus

Five Windows 7 Pro x64 machines have successfully been updated, per Group “B”; four have Avira (which received a major update yesterday).  Am pleased to report that there are no problems whatsoever.

• #1146817 Reply

anonymous

Hello Woody, In one of your articles you mentioned that you were not too happy about Avast with its “emergency updater” and no other way to do the patching. I agree. I have AVG and I have many items blocked in the firewall. Avast / AVG needs to have a way to manually download the patch from the AVG support download site and they need a warning to the person that an AVG update is about to commence, unblock or allow the files and registry keys to be modified.

Updating in the background when the operator is away is not a good idea. Avast / AVG should be more transparent.

Some people are not going to get the update because their firewall may block or impede it if done “silently”.

Thank you.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1196491 Reply

anonymous

Hello woody, I finally remembered the article on the AV patches.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3216425/microsoft-patch-alert-april-patches-have-sharp-edges-with-several-missing-others-reappearing.html

You mentioned, “Avast/AVG – The company has issued hotfixes to avoid the bluescreens … That, to me at least, is a very distressing way to apply a hotfix.”

Agreed. While it may work for most everyone, it would be nice if Avast/AVG had a patch download support site available in case the emergency patch failed, or was blocked by an individual’s firewall rules for random behind the scenes updates not normally associated with the standard definitions downloads.

Thank you.

• #1249134 Reply

anonymous

Hello Woody. I am honored that you mentioned my post in your ComputerWorld article.

Thank you so much. You are very kind, and I am on cloud 9.

• #1249811 Reply

woody
          Da Boss

Thanks for posting!

First-hand accounts beat manufacturers’ promises any day.

Get an account so I can refer to you by name (or at least handle)!

• #1158773 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Some people are not going to get the update because their firewall may block or impede it

Only if you have set the firewall manually to block your AV, and why would you do that?

cheers, Paul

• #1173086 Reply

anonymous

Hello PaulT. You are not Woody, but I will answer you.

“Only if you have set the firewall manually to block your AV, and why would you do that?”

Why? Because I want to have control over what goes outbound from my PC. I have used a 3rd party firewall for decades. If you search online for what AVG (now Avast) has done and is doing with telemetry, you would understand why I and others here are suspicious of “outbound transmissions”.

Thank you.

• #1195587 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

As you have deliberately prevented your AV updating it is now your responsibility to check and update. This is not the same as “some people not getting the update…”, which implies people don’t know their AV is not automatically updating.
        Your comment is valid, it just needed clarification.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Report from the field about ongoing Win7-Avira problems

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.