News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reported problem with Drive Mappings after installing this month’s Win10 1909 cumulative update, KB 4530684

Home Forums AskWoody blog Reported problem with Drive Mappings after installing this month’s Win10 1909 cumulative update, KB 4530684

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

The bugs keep rolling in. shaun calton reports: Just had an interesting blip on my Windows 10 -1909 device with the 12-2019 Cumulative Update (KB45306
        [See the full post at: Reported problem with Drive Mappings after installing this month’s Win10 1909 cumulative update, KB 4530684]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2018485 Reply
        pHROZEN gHOST
        AskWoody Lounger

My son had that issue. His SSD (the boot device) was no longer mapped as the boot device in the BIOS.  What is Microsoft doing messing with BIOS settings?

Byte me!

• #2018494 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

The issue is drive mapping on a network, not local C:. Maybe you just had a hiccup in the BIOS?

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2018492 Reply
        davelr
        AskWoody Plus

I installed that KB yesterday and so far as I can tell, we don’t have any mapping issues on our home LAN. This is not a domain network.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2018526 Reply
        Neath1940
        AskWoody Plus

I had a similar problem with 1903 and I found what is was (for me) is that the update changed the “Password protected sharing” setting from ‘on’ to ‘off’.  You can get to the setting by this route:   Control Panel    >>>   Network and Sharing Center   >>>   Advance Sharing settings   >>>  All Networks

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2018572 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

KB4530684 CU for 1903 is clean, no drive mapping problems on my home network.

• #2018643 Reply
        ltorres
        AskWoody Plus

i installed kb4530684 on my test domain PCs and the network drive mappings are working (vbs script and AD mapping)

• #2018712 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I don’t map drives, I map network shares, which don’t use drive letters, and I haven’t seen any issues.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #2019164 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

We map network shares to local machine drive letters, on Active Directory, using GP to push out consistent maps.

Zero problems for multiple client networks, many machines, on all patched systems this month for Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 10 – 1809, 1903 and 1909.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #2022309 Reply
        anonymous

I also have the issue with drive mappings. KB4530684 only seems to prevent application access to the mapped drive if this update is applied to systems already at Release 1909. It does not appear to cause a problem when applied to systems that are at release 1903 prior to the installation of the patch. I am unable to get any attention at Microsoft to correct this mess up.

I also have two systems that refuse to uninstall this patch.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reported problem with Drive Mappings after installing this month’s Win10 1909 cumulative update, KB 4530684

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.