News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reset Administrator Password (Forgot it)

Posted on barmeister Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Reset Administrator Password (Forgot it)

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        barmeister
        AskWoody Plus

Woody suggested I post this question here:

I need to reset the Administrator Password on a brand new Dell R440 server. Whoever setup the server entered a password and none of my admins nor I remember any password. Do you have any suggestions on the easiest way to reset the Administrator password?

Thanks,
        Barmeister

• #2269994 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Which admin password? Boot, Windows, encryption?

If you have admin rights on the server you can change the password in Windows.

If it’s the only admin account you need a reset utility and as it’s a server you may have trouble because the disk driver is non-standard and may not come up with the reset boot disk.
        Search for “offline password reset” – the site has instructions for using the program on unusual disk controllers.

cheers, Paul

• #2269997 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

I’m a little confused about the server you are querying here. This is a Win10 forum – which OS version is you server running on?

This HowToGeek article seems to work on Server 2016 & 2008, and if that is appropriate, it may possibly be of use to you.

• #2270170 Reply
          barmeister
          AskWoody Plus

You are correct Kirsty, thanks for that.  However I was hoping an admin might have information and I am searching for it further.  To answer another question the version is Server 2019 Standard.  I believe I have it now, but there were no other accounts created on the server yet, so the option of just resetting it from another domain admin account wasn’t possible.  New server…

Thanks,

Barry

• #2270172 Reply
        barmeister
        AskWoody Plus

I have it reset now and I thank you for the replies trying to help Paul and Kristy.  I did use utilman.exe by copying the cmd.exe to it and then renaming the old orig. utilman.exe back.

My Best Always,

Barmeister

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reset Administrator Password (Forgot it)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.