News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Reset PC and Shrink Partition

Author
    Topic

Have an older HP laptop that I recently refurbished.

Specs are:

Win 10 20H2

Pentium T4200 dual-core @2.10GHz

4GB RAM

Runs OK but not exactly quick & snappy. 4GB of RAM should be plenty when startup apps are limited and it’s not multi-tasking. It actually ran a little faster with Windows 7. By faster I mean more responsive with less lag. Maybe Win 10 is too busy downloading updates in the background, or Windows Defender is busy scanning for malware in the background which can make the system feel a bit sluggish, not sure.

My plan was to do Reset this PC and shrink the 240GB SSD to about 120GB during the Reset process, and later install something like a simple Linux or maybe Chrome OS on the remaining 100GB to see if that would run better.

Anyway, during the Reset I never saw an option to format or resize the partition. Does anyone here recall how to resize during a Reset, please?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Anyway, during the Reset I never saw an option to format or resize the partition. Does anyone here recall how to resize during a Reset, please?

There are no format or resize options during Reset process.
      Reset bring the PC to factory state from recovery partition.
      If there is no recovery partition you need clean install/repair
      You can resize/create partitions using the buid-in Disk management after the reset process.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Runs OK but not exactly quick & snappy…. It actually ran a little faster with Windows 7. By faster I mean more responsive with less lag. Maybe Win 10 is too busy downloading updates in the background, or Windows Defender is busy scanning for malware in the background which can make the system feel a bit sluggish, not sure.

As you have seen, Windows 10 is a resource hog, especially compared to Windows 7. Because of this, if you want to continue to use Windows 10 on that laptop, probably the single best thing you can do to make windows 10 more responsive is to double the installed memory to 8 gigs from the current 4 gigs.

However, laptops sometimes have memory that is soldered in and isn’t replaceable, or doesn’t have a special extra socket inside the case to add more memory. Before trying to add more memory, check HP’s site to look at the specs for the laptop to see if it will support more than 4 gigs of memory.

If, on the other hand, you want to primarily use Linux on the laptop, then @Ascaris (or any of the other MVPs here who are Linux enthusiasts) can give you some good info on just how well the latest iterations of Linux should do with 4 gigs of memory and a 2GHz, two core processor.

I’m not an MVP but perhaps the following will be useful.

I’ve got Linux Mint 19.2 running on 2 2009 laptops both of which ended their Windows life running Vista in a frustratingly slow manner, and both of which are now reasonably fast – not speed burners but serviceable. The HP has an old AMD processor and the Acer has a Celeron, and both have 4GB RAM. I recently replaced the HDD on the HP with an SSD and actually laughed when I started it up, the speed increase was so dramatic.

As far as resizing partitions, if you install Mint or Ubuntu to dual boot with Windows, you will be given the option of resizing during the installation process. You can resize manually or you can let the installation do it for you as it sees fit. I’ve always let the installation do it for me and haven’t had any complaints.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Reset PC and Shrink Partition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.