News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Reset PC questions

Posted on bmeacham Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Reset PC questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bbearren 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

bmeacham
      AskWoody Plus

I may have to reinstall Windows 10 — which I am not looking forward to — and have some questions.

What’s the difference between Reset this PC with Keep Personal Files and Fresh Start?

If I do either one of these, will I lose the manufacturer-installed drivers?

If I choose to keep personal files, does that include the hidden Appdata folder?

Do either of these options make use of the hidden system image folder? In my case, that contains Windows 8, and I would rather not go all the way back there.

Windows 10 Home 1903 OS build 18362.295

Dell XPS 13 8 gig RAM, 1024 gig SSD

• #1911208 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

Retiredgeek gave a valid answer to your question previously here.
      I’d suggest only doing a refresh while retaining your files.

I suggest that you refer to this reference for an explanation of how to do a refresh from your current Windows 10.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #1911384 Reply

bbearren
      AskWoody MVP

My preference would be a repair/reinstall (in-place upgrade) using MCT media.  Sign in a s a member of the Administrators group and run Setup from there.  Choose to keep files and settings.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!
      "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow
      "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns

"Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Reset PC questions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.