News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Restart cannot see 2nd hard drive

Posted on mwdelehanty293 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1903 – May 2019 Update Restart cannot see 2nd hard drive

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mwdelehanty293 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

mwdelehanty293
      AskWoody Plus

After 1903 update when I restart (Windows 10 Home) it does not see the 2nd hard drive.  It boots off SSD drive OK, but Disk Managment shows the hard drive as “unallocated”. So I shut down, count to 12 and start and there the hard drive is.  Use computer and need to do a restart and opps the hard drive gone and back to being “unallocated” . At least it is consistant but I am stumped.

After the update could the operating system being booted so fast it cannot see the disk drive as not spun up. Sounds stupid as I typed it but who knows.    anyway help

• #1915034 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

After 1903 update when I restart (Windows 10 Home) it does not see the 2nd hard drive.  It boots off SSD drive OK, but Disk Managment shows the hard drive as “unallocated”. So I shut down, count to 12 and start and there the hard drive is.  Use computer and need to do a restart and opps the hard drive gone and back to being “unallocated” . At least it is consistant but I am stumped.

After the update could the operating system being booted so fast it cannot see the disk drive as not spun up. Sounds stupid as I typed it but who knows.    anyway help

Try disabling Fast Startup

Attachments:
    • #1915209 Reply

anonymous

Right click on the start menu icon, click on Device Manager, and see if it listed under the Disk drives section.

• #1918275 Reply

mwdelehanty293
        AskWoody Plus

Yup that how see it is unallocated. Strange but consistant, it always does it.

• #1915664 Reply

Bundaburra
      AskWoody Plus

Could it be that the drive is becoming faulty?  Run some diagnostics on it, or check it with Speccy (free version works fine) and look inside the Storage tab.  Look for anything unusual, or not flagged as “Good”.

I had a similar problem a while ago, and the drive which sometimes could not be found was indeed faulty.  I replaced it with a new one (restored all its contents from a backup), and the problem stopped.  (Also much more responsive.)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Bundaburra.
      • #1918253 Reply

mwdelehanty293
        AskWoody Plus

What is odd is that it is consistent, always shows hard drive on cold start but never on restart.

Ran Speccy and all was Good.

• #1918324 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Some variables to experiment with, since we’re punching in the dark.

A. Enable Fast start, Hibernate. After each, test Shutdown/Boot and Restart sequences.
      B. Does the BIOS/UEFI show drives’ stati?
      B.1. Record the values during a Boot after a Shutdown.
      B.2. Same, during a Restart. – These should be identical to B.1.
      C. Back out 1903. Remotely possible that some obscure hardware error appeared coincidentally with 1903.

• #1941249 Reply

BiggerBob101
      AskWoody Plus

I recently decided to take the plunge and upgrade my Windows 10 Pro to 1903. When it finally booted in to 1903 my 2nd hard drive was not visible at all. Looking in Computer Management>Disk Management it did appear there, but said it needed to be initialised. Tried doing that but it returned an error. Nothing could recognise the drive, not even some powerful disk utilities.

In addition to the lost drive, the system said I had a Network connection with Internet access. Well I did have a network, but no way could I actually access the Internet. Googled the problem (very common!) and tried countless “fixes” but none worked.

In desperation told Windows to revert to the previous version (1809). Knowing how reliable Microsoft’s recovery procedures are I crossed all fingers and toes. Less than 30 minutes later it was back to 1809 and with my 2nd hard drive working perfectly with all data intact.

So my suggestion is to get rid of 1903!.

• #1941254 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’d make a full backup to external disk, then upgrade. It’ll probably work second time around.

cheers, Paul

• #1941646 Reply

mwdelehanty293
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks for help. Updated 3 times no joy.  Fixed internet problem by new USB WiFi . Fixed hard drive issue when it would not be there either cold start or reboot with new drive. Worked so must have intermittent problem that finally crashed.

thanks to all Michael

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Restart cannot see 2nd hard drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel