News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • restart without update

Posted on greenbergman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 restart without update

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        greenbergman
        AskWoody Plus

Hello gurus. Is there a relatively simple way to restart Windows 10 Home without updating? When there is an update ready, I can’t figure out how to avoid it. And it’s always at an inopportune time such as before a presentation or when offline. I have updates set to pause (though the setting for that seem to have changed), but that doesn’t seem to work when I have to restart.

Thanks!

• #2305321 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Do you mean restart after updating at a time of your choosing?

After an update that requires a restart you will be prompted to restart. If you select “later” to postpone the restart, you can manually restart via the menu anytime and the updates will complete.

Make sure you leave at least half an hour between the manual restart and any work you actually need to do.

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Paul T.
        • #2305417 Reply
          greenbergman
          AskWoody Plus

Hi Paul.
          No, I meant a mandatory update when attempting to restart. And that’s when, among other things, that unexpected half hour (+/-) is a problem.
          David

• #2305344 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Hello gurus. Is there a relatively simple way to restart Windows 10 Home without updating? When there is an update ready, I can’t figure out how to avoid it. And it’s always at an inopportune time such as before a presentation or when offline. I have updates set to pause (though the setting for that seem to have changed), but that doesn’t seem to work when I have to restart.

Thanks!

Download and run wushowhide or wumgr or wumt (all portable) and hide the updates.
        Unhide when you are ready to install.

You can also set your connections (both LAN & wi-fi) to ‘metered’ in order to delay updates downloads.

• #2305420 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I meant a mandatory update when attempting to restart

This means an update has already part installed and now needs to finish the job.

Alex post above shows how to prevent such things.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: restart without update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.