• Restoring New iPhone From Old Phone Backup

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Apple » iOS » Restoring New iPhone From Old Phone Backup

Author
    Topic

I currently have a 6S that has been a good phone for years, but is now on its last legs.  I like to buy unlocked phones from Apple and use it with any carrier without a contract.  When the iPhones 14s come out and prices on the 13 are reduced, I plan on getting one.  The 6S will not be compatible with iOS 16 and will be on the latest iOS 15 version.  If the new iPhone 13 I get comes with iOS 16 on it, can I restore it from an iOS 15 backup?  Are new iOS updates backwards compatible with older iOSs?  Which will be the best method to restore from a backup…Finder backup on my Mac, iCloud, or Direct Transfer method.  Thank you.

iPhone 13, 2019 iMac(SSD)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

can I restore it from an iOS 15 backup?

Yes, you can.
      Backup your current iPhone to iCloud.
      During the setup of the new iPhone you will be given the choice of clean setup, restoring directly from your iPhone 6s (connected to the same wi-fi network and is near your new iPhone) or restoring from iCloud.

Thank you, Alex.  I’m always current on both iCloud and Finder/Mac backups.  Do you recommend one restore method over the other.  I’ve used both iCloud and iTunes (before my Mac), but never the Direct Transfer method.  But it’s good to know I can restore a iOS 16 phone with a iOS 15 backup.

I can restore a iOS 16 phone with a iOS 15 backup.

If you have an Apple watch you will need to unpair your Apple Watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

1 user thanked author for this post.

@Pmcjr6142

Not sure if this applies but Apple support told me I cannot restore an older IOS backup to replace newer version. They were right.

@Pmcjr6142

Not sure if this applies but Apple support told me I cannot restore an older IOS backup to replace newer version. They were right.

DriftyDonN…So, what are you supposed to do?  Set up the new iPhone that comes with a newer iOS from scratch?  Go thru every setting and set them to match the older iOS you wanted to restore from?  What about photos on the older iPhone with an older iOS? My 6S will have iOS 15 on it and will not be upgradeable to iOS16.  My concern is that the new iPhone may come with iOS16 on it.  Alex seems to agree that you could restore the new iOS 16 phone with a iOS 15 backup…it would simply overlay the compatible/applicable iOS 15 settings on the iOS 16 phone.  Any new iOS 16 settings, you would have to set by hand.

Just finished a lengthy chat with Apple…this is the most applicable Apple comment from that chat….”Yes, you got it! All the settings from iOS 15 that are still available in iOS 16 will be transferred to your new phone. You can just apply your new settings changes that are available on iOS 16 after the restore”.  This was in part the answer to my question…can you restore a iOS 16 phone from a iOS 15 backup?  The restore would include settings, apps, and photos and would work from either a Mac/Finder, iCloud, or Direct Transfer restore using a current backup.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. My experience was an update to IOS 15.5 from 15.4. I made backup of 15.4 using Itunes on my laptop prior to update. After a couple of days  it appeared that battery usage had degraded with no change in daily use. I assumed I could use my backup to restore to 15.4.  Did not work. After 3 attempts I tried to restore from Icloud but same result I called apple and after a long discussion, and several more  attempts(He connected to my phone and we went thru it together) was told “Oh!you cannot restore to IOS 15.4 after updating to IOS 15.5)

The update did change many settings ( not all) but enough so I had to check and change…also found many pics deleted, notes, reminders gone…appointments in calendar also gone.

Backup and Restore do not have the same connotation as in MS world. Go figure! 🙂

I hope you are able to accomplish what you intend to do.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. My experience was an update to IOS 15.5 from 15.4. I made backup of 15.4 using Itunes on my laptop prior to update. After a couple of days  it appeared that battery usage had degraded with no change in daily use. I assumed I could use my backup to restore to 15.4.  Did not work. After 3 attempts I tried to restore from Icloud but same result I called apple and after a long discussion, and several more  attempts(He connected to my phone and we went thru it together) was told “Oh!you cannot restore to IOS 15.4 after updating to IOS 15.5)

The update did change many settings ( not all) but enough so I had to check and change…also found many pics deleted, notes, reminders gone…appointments in calendar also gone.

Backup and Restore do not have the same connotation as in MS world. Go figure! 🙂

I hope you are able to accomplish what you intend to do.

DriftyDon…Thanks for clarifying this. Yes, we weren’t talking about the same thing.  I think I will be fine restoring a iOS 16 phone (if this turns out to be the case when/if I buy a iPhone 13 or 14 this Fall that comes with iOS 16 installed on it) from my 6S iOS 15 backup.  I saved the Apple chat transcript for whatever good that might do me should there be a problem.  Take care.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Restoring New iPhone From Old Phone Backup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: