News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Revert back to Win7 then install Win10

Posted on cmptrgy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Revert back to Win7 then install Win10

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I checked out a friends Win10 laptop that is in disaster mode.
        — I was lucky to be able to get into Safe Mode but couldn’t do anything in there.
        — Fortunately was able to save her data.
        — Unfortunately the laptop cannot connect to the Internet, wired or wirelessly.

HP 2000 laptop: Win10 Home (x64): 1.60 GHz AMD E-350: 320GB HDD: 4GB RAM.
        — Windows 10 version is unknown. Originally Windows 7.

Recovery D 13.74 GB NTFS is available.
        — Plan on reverting back to her original Windows 7.
        — Make sure it runs ok for at least a month or 2.
        — After that upgrade or clean install Windows 10: which is better: upgrade or install?

She has Microsoft – Office Home and Student 2010. I know the 25-character key via Belarc.
        — Uninstall it before proceeding.
        — Will it be possible to re-install it into Windows 7 and again into Windows 10?

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #2016606 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Make a full disk image of what is there by booting off rescue media for the backup software. If things get messed up, you may need the Recovery partition.
        If you have made the Factory Recovery media from the Recovery partition, you might try booting from it and doing a Repair Install of Win7.

I wouldn’t worry about upgrade or clean install to Win10 until you have a working copy of Win7. You may not have another choice but clean install.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2016826 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You could just boot from a W10 ISO (I assume you can do this) and perform a repair install – after a full backup of course.

cheers, Paul

• #2017062 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

You could just boot from a W10 ISO (I assume you can do this) and perform a repair install – after a full backup of course.

cheers, Paul

That is another good idea and I know how to do that. However I cannot create a full backup because the laptop will not connect to the Internet wired or wirelessly so I can’t install a backup program which is something I wanted to do as I’m used to Macrium Reflect Free. Booting into normal mode only gets to the desktop with only the Recycle Bin and it will not get into the Start screen.
        Booting into Safe Mode w/Networking isn’t helpful either.
        Booting into Safe Mode does include the desktop icons but I could not open anything.
        — However on the USB flash drive I had created folders titled Her Documents, Her Pictures, Her Downloads (there are many, many downloads in there) & another one for Her Desktop data.
        — When I connected it, surprisingly the left pane showed up and I was able to open Drive C and was able to copy & paste those data items to the flash drive which was a relief but still could not change anything.
        — She has friend helping her go through her data on his Win10 laptop and she is grateful for that.

I was able to get into Advanced Options via Shift + Restart but didn’t trust using the option to do a repair install w/o a full backup.
        — She has had friends try to help her for a 1 1/2 years w/o any success.
        — When she asked me about it last week, I told her I believe I can get the laptop back in working order and I still do.
        — There were a number of other issues that came up when I checked her laptop last week and decided I’ll go with the plan I mentioned in my opening post.
        — For now I’ve got to visit heidoc https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/18-office-2010-direct-download-links to see if I will have a chance to get her Microsoft – Office Home and Student 2010 if I follow the plan to recover her laptop.

• #2017216 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Booting from a backup recovery USB will allow you to backup to a USB HDD.

cheers, Paul

• #2017343 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Booting from a backup recovery USB will allow you to backup to a USB HDD.

cheers, Paul

That’s very interesting to me.

Does this article cover that?
        The need to backup bootable USB drive
        https://www.ubackup.com/backup-restore/backup-bootable-usb.html

As an aside, when I help someone recover or improve their PC’s performance I usually create a USB Recovery drive afterward to include system Backup system files to the recovery drive at a minimum.

• #2017360 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You need to plug in the recovery USB, then power on and boot from the recovery USB. Now plug-in your external USB hard disk and backup the internal disk (C: drive in Windows) to the USB disk.

cheers, Paul

• #2017897 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Good news, actually great news as the laptop is running back to normal now: reverted back to Windows 10 Home, Windows updates updated etc. Looking forward to a clean or ISO Windows 10 Home install probably in a week or two instead of a month or two to ensure the laptop continues to run as well as its supposed to.

• #2019893 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Good news, actually great news as the laptop is running back to normal now: reverted back to Windows 10 Home, Windows updates updated etc. Looking forward to a clean or ISO Windows 10 Home install probably in a week or two instead of a month or two to ensure the laptop continues to run as well as its supposed to.

Actually reverted back to Windows 7 Home.

Clean installed Win10 on Fri 13th and it’s running fine.
        It’s on Version 1809 (build 17763.914).
        Feature update Windows 10 1909 already available to download and install.
        I’m going to let the owner do that when we meet this week.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Revert back to Win7 then install Win10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.