News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Review: Microsoft SmartClippy

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Review: Microsoft SmartClippy

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

One of the famous (or infamous) features of Microsoft Office from Office 97-2003 was Clippy, the little animated paperclip that appeared asking if you needed assistance while working in Microsoft Office. Most users found Clippy annoying, although I personally always enjoyed having fun with Clippy, right-clicking on him and clicking on animate when I needed a little brightening up on a difficult Word document.

Back on April 1, 2014, Microsoft’s TechNet UK blog announced Microsoft SmartClippy, Microsoft’s latest innovation to take Clippy to the next level (look at the date). I happened to reach out to the fine folks at Microsoft’s TechNet UK blog and ask for a review copy of Microsoft SmartClippy awhile back, and now that I’m a member of the AskWoody community and it is the month of April, I thought I’d post a review of my hands-on with Microsoft SmartClippy.

First of all, the reason I asked Microsoft for a review copy of Microsoft SmartClippy is while SmartClippy looked simple enough for DIY’ers to make their own, I was always worried about a DIY SmartClippy giving me an error message in the future that I wasn’t using a “genuine” Microsoft SmartClippy. Since I’m all for using genuine copies of Microsoft products and stamping out piracy, I requested a “genuine” Microsoft SmartClippy from the fine folks over on the TechNet UK blog.

Getting Microsoft SmartClippy Here

Since I’m in the US, I had the Microsoft TechNet UK blog send my copy of Microsoft SmartClippy to my friend and fellow weather blogger in the UK, Harry Hayfield, who then relayed the shipment to me. Since my Microsoft SmartClippy had to hop across the pond in transit, unfortunately, he arrived with his eyes disconnected from the rest of him. Thankfully I am an expert in the ELMER programming language, so I wrote a macro through its GLUE interface to get Microsoft SmartClippy’s eyes re-attached to him and ready to go.

Hands-On With Microsoft SmartClippy

My experiences with Microsoft SmartClippy have been quite positive so far. Microsoft SmartClippy makes it easy to attach new innovation to my life. Microsoft SmartClippy keeps all of my physical documents organized for those times I have to turn to storing information on dead trees. If I need to clip information to my shirt pocket, Microsoft SmartClippy is right there to assist. Microsoft SmartClippy uses the same cheerful smile and willingness to assist that was available in Microsoft Office, with more practicality for real-world applications. Microsoft SmartClippy is fully compatible with Windows PC’s, Macs, mobile devices, and Microsoft SmartClippy seems to even enjoy spending time around Linux.

Included Extras and Versions of Microsoft SmartClippy

Every “genuine” Microsoft SmartClippy also comes with a signed copy of Microsoft’s Certificate of No Authenticity, an important record to keep on file to ensure to others you’re running a “genuine” copy of Microsoft SmartClippy and not a DIY knockoff.

My copy of Microsoft SmartClippy is the standard edition of Microsoft SmartClippy (which I believe goes by Microsoft SmartClippy Pro). At the time of the announcement, an Enterprise version of Microsoft SmartClippy is also available for tougher tasks, as well as different sizes and colors. I that Microsoft is also considering new versions of Microsoft SmartClippy, including Microsoft SmartClippy ProPlus for enterprise distribution, Microsoft SmartClippy Home and Student for home and educational use, Microsoft SmartClippy Home and Business for home or office use, and a new version of Microsoft SmartClippy called Microsoft SmartClippy 365 that allows for automatic updates to Microsoft SmartClippy as they become available (in a range of variants, including: Home, Personal, Business Essentials, Business, and Business Premium). Microsoft SmartClippy 365 will be based on a new technology called “Clip-To-Run” to make it even faster and easier to get started with Microsoft SmartClippy.

Happy April Fools everyone!

smartclippy-1

smartclippy-2

Nathan Parker

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #380112 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan Parker,

Your good-natured endorsement of SmartClippy is heartwarming, but also a bit cryptic:

Microsoft SmartClippy keeps all of my physical documents organized for those times I have to turn to storing information on dead trees. If I need to clip information to my shirt pocket, Microsoft SmartClippy is right there to assist.

In other words: SmartClippy does… what?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #381629 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

In other words: SmartClippy does… what?

It does everything a paperclip with a pair of eyes glued to it does, but with a cheerier look than an ordinary paperclip. 🙂

It was an April Fool’s joke from Microsoft, but I really did ask the TechNet UK blog to send me one to “review” for fun.

I also recently purchased another adorable product for Mac enthusiasts I’ll be reviewing on here maybe next week.

Nathan Parker

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #385734 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Someone has way too much time on their hands.

That said, what a good way to spend it.

PS my lawn could do with a trim, whenever you get bored with Clippy.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #404961 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Someone has way too much time on their hands. That said, what a good way to spend it. PS my lawn could do with a trim, whenever you get bored with Clippy.

Hee hee! I’m generally insanely busy, but I did promise Microsoft I’d write a review on Microsoft SmartClippy when I received him, then the tech blog I contributed to phased out, plus I had to ensure a few additional transitions with work, school, technology use, etc., I didn’t find a good place to post a review. Now that I’m on AskWoody and the site is hanging around, I finally had an avenue to post my review!

Nathan Parker

• #405980 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

So, SmartClippy was meant as an April 1st joke! But, because of Nathan’s timing, it showed up here more like an April 15th joke. One of the very best April 15th jokes — compared to most of them, that is. Because April 15th jokes are not really very funny.

Here is a real life example: I just have finished filling out and printing the 2018 tax forms with the Mac ahead of tomorrow’s annual deadline (April 15th is Tax Day, here in the USA – got to make that clear up front, so Kirsty does not remind me this is an international site), after dealing with a mysteriously uncooperative, but creative, printer  (or printer application) that decided to enliven my evening by shading random file entries in purple. But I tried again, and again, and, in the end, prevailed: nary a tiny bit of purple to be seen anywhere. Tomorrow, I’ll mail the lot. Now, I’m going to bed. Mission accomplished.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #406491 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

I also print and mail in the forms. I’d love to do everything online, but the IRS website is so confusing about eFiling and some of the third-party services they use, I’d rather trust my info going through the mail than going through who knows who with some of the third-party websites they use.

Nathan Parker

• #413530 Reply

teknews
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan:  for your IRS taxes next year (filing in 2020) check this site out.  I’ve used them since 2007.  Just follow the simple wizard and built in are ‘safe checks’ for you information and etc.

https://www.freetaxusa.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=freetaxusa%20com&utm_content=Brandname-freetaxusa&utm_campaign=PPC-Bing-BrandName&msclkid=af53ce413328157b21f492f55830bc16

Tom

• #415726 Reply

BATcher
      AskWoody_MVP

Shouldn’t this be moved to Fun Stuff?

(Assuming it is, of course…)

BATcher
    • #445481 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Nathan: for your IRS taxes next year (filing in 2020) check this site out. I’ve used them since 2007. Just follow the simple wizard and built in are ‘safe checks’ for you information and etc. https://www.freetaxusa.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=freetaxusa%20com&utm_content=Brandname-freetaxusa&utm_campaign=PPC-Bing-BrandName&msclkid=af53ce413328157b21f492f55830bc16 Tom

Thanks! Will check it out.

Nathan Parker

• #445537 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Shouldn’t this be moved to Fun Stuff? (Assuming it is, of course…)

Absolutely. I’m still digging into the structure of AskWoody threads. I posted this here since it’s the closest to a “Microsoft Office” product that I know of. 🙂 Fun Stuff would be a better place for it, and where I’ll post my review on the adorable Mac product I have to mention next.

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Review: Microsoft SmartClippy

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.