• Review your notifications

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » Review your notifications

Author
    Topic

When you purchase a new Windows 11 computer – especially one that wasn’t manually built by you but purchased from an OEM vendor, you want to look for
    [See the full post at: Review your notifications]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady/Prudent patcher

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

The other day I saw someone in Enterprise complain that new HP computers were coming shipped with Wolf security and wondering if that bloat could be removed with Intune or Autopilot.

My HP Windows 11 PC came with Wolf Security installed on it. I’ve gone through the whole UI and read their online stuff about it, and for the life of me I still cannot figure out exactly what it adds to my computer’s security. It’s all vague, impressive-sounding verbiage. But what does it do (that I would have any interest in its doing) that my antivirus suite doesn’t already do?

1 user thanked author for this post.

I have for years always wiped a new PC’s drive and did a clean install of Windows. Doesn’t solve all the baggage issues, especially now with Microsoft bloating up even a clean install. But at least the OEM stuff goes away.

When setting up a new OEM computer one of the first thing we do is to install and run Revo Uninstaller.

We use the uninstaller to remove the apps that we do not want such as: HP Wolf Pro, Xbox, Microsoft Edge, OneDrive, McAfee virus, Microsoft OneNote, Office 365, etc.

Then we clone the drive onto an external SSD and the go ahead and update the system and install the programs we use every day.

The only problem is that after setting up the system we run Belarc Advisor and find that, “McAfee VirusScan , Virus Definitions Version Up To Date, Realtime File Scanning On”, despite having uninstalled McAfee with Revo Uninstaller.

The only problem is that after setting up the system we run Belarc Advisor and find that, “McAfee VirusScan , Virus Definitions Version Up To Date, Realtime File Scanning On”, despite having uninstalled McAfee with Revo Uninstaller.

Revo Uninstaller Free has some limitations.  The differences are listed here.  You might be interested in Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable for your purposes.

Always create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates; you may need to start over!
        We were all once "Average Users". We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do with our systems, we don't need anyone's approval, and we don't all have to do the same things.

bbearren

At first glance Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable looked like a good idea and it was on sale at 50% off.

However when I went to buy the app it was only available as a yearly subscription.

Our practice is to avoid subscription software.

So for now we will wait and see if we really need it or do we just want it.

Thanks

You may want to check out Bulk Crap Uninstaller – Remove large amounts of unwanted applications (bcuninstaller.com). It is free and claims to be very thorough.

For more to think about, see this November 2023 article – 19 Best Free Uninstaller Programs (lifewire.com)

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.

@joep517, I’ve tried BCUninstaller, and it is quite thorough, but not as thorough as Revo Pro.  Over the years I’ve tried any number of free uninstallers, but I’ve stayed with Revo Pro.  It is the most thorough of all I’ve used.

Always create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates; you may need to start over!
              We were all once "Average Users". We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do with our systems, we don't need anyone's approval, and we don't all have to do the same things.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Joe,

That’s slick!

I loaded up the portable version on my NAS then created a scheduled task and shortcut to run it as administrator.

Here is my test run:
              BCUninstaller-List
              And the Results:
              BCUninstaller-Results
              You’ll notice that it reports that Teams is not “Completed”
              I didn’t capture the screen but the next one showed a registry entry for teams so I had it delete that and when I check Settings->Apps sure enough all 5 items were history.

I Rebooted and checked again and everything was still gone. I reran it and noticed that even though I had installed Powershell 7.4.1 version 7.3.11 was still hanging around so I deleted that. 7.4.1 still ran just fine.

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
              Computer Specs

You’ll notice that it reports that Teams is not “Completed” I didn’t capture the screen but the next one showed a registry entry for teams so I had it delete that

That’s why I prefer Revo Uninstaller Pro.  There are no leftovers, no additional steps necessary.  Launched via Process Hacker in Trusted Installer mode, it can Force Uninstall “uninstallable” apps in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder.  I don’t do that one without a current drive image.

@Kathy, Just FYI – I also try to avoid subscription software. However the Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable does not stop working after 1 year, it just no longer will update to a newer version – Registered to: and “Update subscription expires on date” is in the About section.
            I actually purchased a second license 3 yrs post expire date, because I thought the newest version might work better with some changes in Windows 11. Also I like to support products that are useful to me.

Based upon the fact that Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable does not stop working after 1 year I will go ahead and make the $14 purchase.

We will resubscribe when we move our systems to Windows 11.

I’ve been a Revo Uninstaller Pro for years.

When I install software, I always use the “Install Program with Revo Uninstaller Pro”.  It traces the entire install (both registry and disk) and creates a log.  You can VIEW a log using “Custom Uninstall” and see every nook and cranny of the installation.

I’ll even use the Revo install monitor when running “Portable” software.  Some aren’t as clean as others.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Review your notifications

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: