News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • RIP, John Prine

Home Forums AskWoody blog RIP, John Prine

Tagged: 

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

[See the full post at: RIP, John Prine]

• #2229729 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

I saw something about this a few days ago, but had never heard of him. Maybe it’s a U.S. thing?

I did also note Bill Withers’ passing – him, I knew of!
        🙂

• #2230600 Reply

My favorite tagline of his was, “I sing from the Indies to the Andes in my Undees.” My favorite song (so many good ones, hard to pick) was “Sam Stone”.

Greatly missed, but he leaves behind a great body of work. 🙁

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least six legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2230917 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Who was John Prine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prine

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2231784 Reply
        JNP
        AskWoody Plus

John Prine was born in Maywood, IL which is adjacent to Chicago, IL the city in which I was born, raised and live. I’ve seen John perform, many, many times. His Thanksgiving shows, somewhat of a tradition for quite a while, were always memorable because he’d bring out members of his family to join him on stage. His last performance in Chicago was on April 27, 2018 at the historic Chicago Theatre.  It was his finest show in “Chicago” in quite some time. For those interested, you can find the setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-prine/2018/the-chicago-theatre-chicago-il-3ec71b3.html . There exist links to versions of all the songs performed that night to the right of each title.  It’s as good an introduction to John’s body of work as anything.  Fittingly, as it turns out, he was joined by his older brother Dave, on fiddle, for the last song “Paradise”.  “Paradise” comes from John’s first album and is noteworthy, not only because the song is about his family’s history, but also because he recorded the song not only Dave Prine, but his best friend, the late Steve Goodman.  John was a great songwriter, distinct American voice and a very giving person.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by JNP.
        5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2231823 Reply
        DavidO
        AskWoody Plus

That is very sad to hear. He was one of my many influences while growing up.

• #2231827 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

He will be missed by many. Each year, for some one my age it seems there are less and less of our musical idols around anymore. � 😢

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2231829 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss
      • #2231830 Reply
        rontpxz81
        AskWoody Lounger

Loved John Prine ever since the 1970s.

• #2231848 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

I first saw him playing in a bar in Denver. Must’ve been mid 1970s.

Unforgettable.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2231870 Reply
            anonymous

? says:

maybe Marvelous Marv’s aka Ebbets Field. played there 02/22/1972. courtesy of Barry Fey and Chuck Morris…

• #2231868 Reply
        anonymous

? says:

“…make me an angel that flies from Montgomery…”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDLCr0fxOQ

• #2231955 Reply
        discorallado
        AskWoody Plus

His was the fabric of Americana. As Woody Guthrie once said:

Well, this is folk music, and you people are, ostensibly, the folk.”

The below paragraph is attributed to Wikipedia’s entry for John Prine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prine#Death). This is when you realize just how integral this man was to American music in the latter part of the 20th century.

In 2009, Bob Dylan told The Huffington Post that Prine was one of his favorite writers, stating “Prine’s stuff is pure Proustian existentialism. Midwestern mindtrips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs. I remember when Kris Kristofferson first brought him on the scene. ‘Sam Stone’ featuring the wonderfully evocative line: ‘There’s a hole in daddy’s arm where all the money goes, and Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose.’[39] All that stuff about ‘Sam Stone’, the soldier junkie daddy, and ‘Donald and Lydia’, where people make love from ten miles away. Nobody but Prine could write like that.”[40]

Having recently read A Remembrance of Things Past, this blew my mind.

Rest in  Paradise, Mr. Prine.

Rugged indoorsman.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2231976 Reply
        Steve S.
        AskWoody Plus

I saw him live in Seattle back in the ’70s and always loved his sense of humor, voice, songwriting and ability to touch common experiences of so many ordinary people. I still have some of his vinyl LPs. RIP, John. 🙁

Win7 Pro x64(Group B), Win10 Pro x64 1909, Win10 Home 1909, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2232035 Reply
        Marty
        AskWoody Plus

A huge loss.  John Prine was an extraordinary songwriter.  His first album, which came out when he was only 25 years old, showed a social and political sensitivity far beyond his years.  It’s hard to pick a favorite from that album, but perhaps the most moving song was this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKoYHFVBpEA

John Prine’s musical legacy reminds us of the importance of  humor and empathy in a world that is now sorely lacking in both.

• #2232120 Reply
        davelr
        AskWoody Plus

Although in Denver in early 1972, I never got to see him live and had not listened to his music for a while. About a year ago I broke out my old turntable and started digitizing my vinyl collection. When I got to my Prine albums I was reminded just why I’d enjoyed his music so much. Although not always listed as his greatest songs, I’ve always loved “Illegal Smile”, “Living in the Future” and “Hello In There” has always made me tear up a bit.

• #2233116 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

John Prine NPR Tiny Desk Concert (15 mins)

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/12/592266527/john-prine-tiny-desk-concert

:W10Pro 1809 17763.1217

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Perq.
      • #2233121 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

RIP John Prine “standing by peaceful waters”
        Lake Marie — a yarn for the centuries

https://youtu.be/Exr-DOWJ3A0?list=PLbUCjBzdhEVpQGrex93NkLRO8DKwNY_Nv

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Paul T.
        • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Paul T.
        • #2233306 Reply
          Perq
          AskWoody Plus

Every bit believable..

• #2233362 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks for posting, Woody. I love John Prine.

• #2233380 Reply
        mlmarshal
        AskWoody Plus

I first heard John Prine while living in San Francisco and attending San Francisco State University. He had just released Sweet Revenge, which was getting a lot of airplay at the time. The one tune from that album that caught my ear above all others was The Accident (Things Could Be Worse). I do believe that he never recorded an album that I don’t now own. Were I to list all my favourite songs, I’d be here for several hours. Ain’t none of ’em I don’t like.

There are 10 kinds of people:
        those who understand binary numbers
        and those who don't.

• #2242475 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

Tribute concert (21 mins)
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBksI8zbhrg

• #2254517 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

Tribute, songs, and last concert on Austin City Limits 2018 (54 mins):

John Prine 1946-2020

• #2255053 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

More John Prine:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/goodbye-john-prine/id870688022?i=1000470836292

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Perq.
      • #2271696 Reply
        Perq
        AskWoody Plus

John Prine Tribute (2 hours) June 11, 2020

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=678713822910665 on Facebook

Viewing 21 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: RIP, John Prine

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.