News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Robocall Phone Phishing Upswing

Home » Forums » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » Robocall Phone Phishing Upswing

Author
    Topic

This is directed at all in the SoCal area, and others, too, in general. Even though it is not IT-oriented, I felt fellow Woody users should know this:

There has been an upswing in phishing robocalls: this one’s fairly slick: They already have your first and last name, Medicare Part D Insurance carrier, and want you to call them back and “verify” your identity. A bot answers the phone and starts phishing for more info.

Obviously there’s been a data leak somewhere, and scammers are trying to “fill in the holes”.

The Feds have been notified; let’s all be REAL careful out there; there’s been a big leak no-one’s talking about yet. Someone out there might have part of your Medicare info, and is looking to pull you all the way in!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
    --
    "Sure I had a plan; Everybody's got a plan until you get hit in the teeth."

-A Very Famous Boxer

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Thanks for the heads up!

Ths site is really messed up currently for me. It claims you posted the above IN THE FUTURE.

It’s about 9PM on Oct 12 here in Hawaii but this site shows your post dated Oct 13!

Edit:I just posted this and it too shows the time of my post about 5 hours in the future. Ugh.

I believe the time stamps on posts are Central time USA.

Ths site is really messed up currently for me. It claims you posted the above IN THE FUTURE.

You would like posts on the forum to be stamped with posters location time stamp ?

My current time is 12:34 PM on Oct. 13

The timestamp is Server Time, which is CDT US.
      It would be chaos if the timestamps were the posters’ time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

A lot of forums allow you to set your location in settings and it will adjust the posts to your time when outputting them. This allows the post time to still be saved in UTC (or server time, but that has issues if you move server location). This isn’t an option here, however.

If Susan wanted to implement it but didn’t want to add a setting, she could also consider retrieving the time zone of the user by using JavaScript, but this is less privacy friendly than just asking in settings, so I wouldn’t use this method myself.

An interesting fact about UTC: it’s not actually an acronym. The Americans and English wanted to use CUT (Coordinated Universal Time) and the French wanted to use TUC (Temps Universel Coordonné), and the compromise was that they used neither! I’ve always loved that fact, I hope it’s true.

I’ve always loved that fact, I hope it’s true.

Three sources apparently confirm this as fact.

Let’s rewrite that shall we 🙂  It’s not “if Susan wants it”…. it’s “Susan has to find a supported WordPress plug in”

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

? says:

tis always chaos ’round here, james tiberius kirk in space for breakfast no less. i get all the differing “phone scams,” including ones for medicare.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/03/protect-yourself-against-medicare-scams

https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-resources/help-fight-medicare-fraud

just who is minding the govt. it security? see you in the next timezone…

Back on topic: Here, in Maryland, and probably up and down further the Atlantic coast, this particular scam NTDBD has warned us all about has not happened, yet, that I have noticed. But this looks like is a par for the course one: I see often in my mailbox, every day, two or three announcements, about, but not sent by Medicare, Social Security or some other part of the US government, offering help me learn and use all those benefits and changes of benefits floating around these days. Nice of them; I appreciate their very fine intentions to make it possible for me to get a good deal by clicking in their nicely prominent placed links. Kind offers which I decline, given my mean nature, by declaring them to be junk, or just plain deleting them without even taking that trouble. And only after a quick glance at them on the preview panel.

But this is going around, like the delta, and I believe it is here to stay. And that there is no other preventive for this than suspicion. If Medicare or some other legitimate government organization contacts me other than by snail mail, it will have written the Medicare URL for the Web page where one logs into one’s account, not be sending me the actual link. And if it seems the message may be real, then I would go and login in my Medicare, or etc. account, with my user ID and password. And I might even be sent a code to my phone or by email, before the login is complete, to use it to validate myself further.

Can these precautions  be defeated by an elaborate enough scam? Yes, they can. But by acting as I choose to do, I believe I am not making myself an easy target for the run-of-the-mill Internet scammers of today.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

I see often in my mailbox, every day, two or three announcements, about, but not sent by Medicare, Social Security or some other part of the US government, offering help me learn and use all those benefits and changes of benefits floating around these days.

Really? I have NEVER gotten anything like that. I guess I have been so extremely careful with my numerous email addresses since 1999 that the spammers don’t have my addresses. Maybe because I have never joined Facebook, etc. I don’t do “social media”.

Mele20: ” I have NEVER gotten anything like that. I guess I have been so extremely careful …

Or it could be the luck of the draw: Somehow, scammers or other rogue Internet abusers got my home email address as part of some big scoop of personal identifiable data off those huge data bases of organizations one may have something to do with, that are more or less routinely attacked and sacked every other day (as often announced here, in “Red Hot”) — or at least it feels this way. And you might not have had yours pilfered, or at least not in the same heist where mine might have been.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
          Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
          Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

You would like posts on the forum to be stamped with posters location time stamp ?

No. I want it to be as it has always been until suddenly recently here. I haven’t done anything that would change the time stamp for me yet it has shown in my Hawaii Standard Time until very recently.

I have dealt, successfully it seems, with robocalls for some time now, by keeping my landline off-the wall and my cellphone turned off, for as long as I don’t have to wait on a call or make a call myself. Days may pass between such events, because I communicate mostly with emails and by teleconferencing. I check the voicemails of both my phones the next time I use them. There used to be calls-waiting in the double-digits, 90% at last of which were definitely scams, the rest, some legitimate ones and the others, perhaps, wrong number ones that were hanged up after the caller heard my recorded message telling a caller to leave me one, with a phone number for me to call back.

Now, there are at most 3 or 4 waiting to be answered. Most of which I delete.

Got some more intel on this one; it seems that a great deal of the recent recipients of this kind of phishing use, or have used a major healthcare system in SoCal that was recently ransomwared to it’s knees a few months ago. Since then they have been less than forthcoming, due to the “ongoing investigation which is still ongoing.”

Well, perhaps they really DID leak some vital info.

“Ongoing Investigation”, my er, foot. (This is a family forum.) These guys are stumbling around with one foot in a bucket of cement, and a mop over their heads while they try and find their, er, elbows in a brightly lit room with both hands to no avail.

Only educated guesses on this, but it’s looking rather poor for them.

Can you say, “Class Action? Of course you can!” (Apologies to the late Mr. Rogers)

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
      --
      "Sure I had a plan; Everybody's got a plan until you get hit in the teeth."

-A Very Famous Boxer

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: Robocall Phone Phishing Upswing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.