News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Router & DSL Modem

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        Casey H
        AskWoody Plus

Greetings –

My DSL modem gave up the ghost after quite a few years of good service.  It was a Netgear DM111PSPv2, it’s output fed to a Linksys N750 EA3500-NP router which gave me my wireless access point.  The modem has been replaced by a Centurylink C1100T, which is billed as a modem/router.  From a security perspective, I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to double up as before, disable the wireless on the modem, and run the output through the old router, using its wireless.  The Centurylink device is more restrictive in its password protocols–a limit of 60 characters, letters & numbers only.  Additionally, even though the GUI password to access the device settings is specific to this particular device, it is only 8 characters long, and the settings don’t seem to allow a password change to something more robust. On the other side of reasoning, the router is approximately 5 years old, so I’m wondering about its security as well.  Thanks for the help, folks.

Casey H.

Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Router & DSL Modem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.