Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Router Security Issues

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Router Security Issues

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  280park 1 week ago.

• Author

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

Michael Horowitz (formerly of ComputerWorld) has a helpful website devoted to all things related to Router Security.

This site focuses on the security of routers. Period. If you are interested in faster WiFi, look elsewhere. The site covers configuration changes to make a router more secure, and, picking a router that is more secure out of the box.

Consumer routers are a software cesspool.

This site is easy to understand and covers a wide range of helpful information and links. The section Security Checklist discusses dozens of issues.

Updated again this month, I would suggest routersecurity.org as an information source.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #144320 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Horowitz is a great writer, and a very experienced fuzzbuster.

• #237600 Reply

280park
      AskWoody Lounger

Should router firmware updates be installed as soon as they become available? Or would it better to take a Woody DEFCON approach and wait a few weeks to allow time for the router firmware bugs, if any exist, to reveal themselves and get fixed by the manufacturer?

• #237604 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Router updates aren’t related to the MS-DEFCON rating.

You could check out Michael Horowitz’s routersecurity pages on firmware updates:
        Router Firmware Updates
        Self-Updating Firmware

• #238871 Reply

280park
          AskWoody Lounger

Kirsty – Thanks for the reply. Michael Horowitz’s website is a great resource for all things related to router security.

• #237726 Reply

AlexEiffel
        AskWoody MVP

My approach with business firewalls (and home devices too) is to always read the release notes to see what the update does. If it does fix a dangerous vulnerability (it doesn’t happen often), I patch quickly, give or take a few hours or a day to see if the patch gets pulled out if creating big issues. Most of the time, I don’t patch, I just wait. I skip lots of patches with minor improvements (I get almost one each week or two on the business side so it is pretty annoying).

• #237672 Reply

NightOwl
      AskWoody MVP

@ 280park

Should router firmware updates be installed as soon as they become available?

Only if you know there is an *immediate* need to be resolved.

But, to answer your specific question:

would it (be) better to take a Woody DEFCON approach and wait a few weeks to allow time for the router firmware bugs, if any exist, to reveal themselves and get fixed by the manufacturer?

I think Woody’s approach of waiting for the dust to settle on new updates for just about any software or firmware will serve you well. If there is not an *immediate* threat issue, then wait and watch the forums (fora) that is (are) related to the software or device you are thinking about updating to see if there are any problems. If and when things quiet down, then consider doing the updating.

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

• #238879 Reply

280park
        AskWoody Lounger

AlexEiffel and NightOwl – I am inclined to wait awhile before installing router updates as both of you suggest unless I can identify the update as being extremely critical. The release notes for my Netgear router are usually cryptic such as “security update” and nothing more.

Thanks for your replies.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Router Security Issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.