News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Routine Windows Updates Malfunctioning

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update Routine Windows Updates Malfunctioning

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        doneager
        AskWoody Plus

I seem to be having issues with routine Windows Defender and MSRT updates. The last Security Intelligence Update (SIU) for Windows Defender processed on July 14 according to the update history. However, wushowhide reported SIU updates available to hide daily on July 15 through 19. None ever passed through to the update queue as occurred in the past. In addition, none of these missed updates are showing in the update history, which I checked to see if they somehow “snuck” through without me authorizing their download.

The last MSRT update also processed on the 14<sup>th</sup>. Updates appeared as available to hide in wushowhide on the 18<sup>th</sup> through the 20<sup>th</sup>. None of these were passed through to the queue either as normally happened previously. Just as for the SIUs, none of these are shown in update history.

Can someone give me a clue as to why this is happening and what might be done to correct it?

Thanks!

Susan Bradley
        Manager

How do you have your updates disabled?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

EricB
        AskWoody Plus

I use group policy and the recommended settings from AKB2000016 (2-Notify/Download) to manage Windows Update.  Metered Connections are not set.  Where definition updates to Defender are concerned it seems that Windows will download and install them without explicit action on my part.  These download/installs are reflected in the Windows System event log.  For example, the following shows that Windows Update has a definition update pending download.  The Update history does not show an installation for this update.  But the event log clearly indicates that Windows has downloaded and installed the update.

Windows Update-

Wu
        Update History-

Du
        Event log-

ev

alejr
        AskWoody Lounger

Security Intelligence Updates contain the updated Virus Definitions used by Windows Defender.

Microsoft typically issues new definitions on a daily basis and, while they all use the same KB number, each one has a different version number.

• 07/19/21 update is version 1.343.1268.0
        • 07/21/21 update is version 1.343.1390.0
        • 07/22/21 update is version 1.343.1495.0
        • the pending update is version 1.343.1633.0

This is normal.

doneager
        AskWoody Plus

Since I started this thread, I guess I should respond to Susan’s question about how I have updates disabled.

I have metered connection OFF. I’m using Group Policy to manage updates. I have  Configure for Automatic Updates “Enabled” and set at 2.

In Windows Update, Pause is NOT set.

I check wushowhide daily to check for updates to hide. I do not hide Security Intelligence or MSRT updates. Whenever I get a notification that there are updates available to install, I go to Windows Update to check what’s there. If it is SIU or MSRT, I download and install them. The SIs have stopped appearing in the Windows Update queue and are not showing up in Update History anymore as they used to.

Hope this answers your question!

D. Eager

PKCano
          Manager

Susan also needs to know if/what settings you may have for in Group Policy for “Windows Update for Business” under Windows Update.

doneager
            AskWoody Plus

I thought I answered that in my July 25th post? What did I miss?

doneager
        AskWoody Plus

I think I might have figured out what was missing in my first reply. Is it:

gpeditr.msc>Local…>Configuration…>Administrative…>Windows Components>Windows Update>Windows Update for Business>Select when quality updates are received? If so, it is Enabled with deferral set to 0 days.

Still experiencing problems. I have the following items in wushowhide>items to hide:

1. SIU – not updated since 7/28. Note: On 7/31, SIU was there in the morning, but was gone later in the day. However, nothing posted to Update History for this.
        2. Samsung (USB) – not updated since 7/26.
        3. Quality Update (July) – not updated since 7/27.
        4. MSRT – not updated since 7/31.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Routine Windows Updates Malfunctioning

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.