News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• rt n search no longer finding new posts?

Home » Forums » AskWoody Central » Suggestions about improving the Lounge » rt n search no longer finding new posts?

Author
    Topic

IIRC a search for rt n would find new posts in forums. Am I recalling incorrectly or is this now not working ? If so is there another method to do the same?
    I am on Pale Moon newest ver and w 10.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 7 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Susan, what @wavy is referring to is how to search for all ‘new‘ posts (black tags) since one’s last visit to a topic. Until this recent change, we were able to do as follows (in Firefox & Waterfox, for example):

Once on a topic’s page, type ‘Ctrl F’ (for ‘Find’) and you’ll see a search box in the lower left of your screen. Type “rt n” – without the quotes — into that box and you’d see all of the new tags to the left of each of the new comments that were posted since the last time you viewed that topic.

Note: the “rt n” search term found all occurrences of the ‘rt’ in the word REPORT and the ‘n’ in the word ‘new’. But now that QUOTE is in that position, the search for “te n” does not yield the same result.

I do use your second suggestion; however, the only way to locate all the ‘new’ tags is to manually scroll vertically in order not to miss any of them.

Hope this explanation helps!  @wavy, please feel free to add anything.

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B (SaS); Former 'Tech Weenie'

If you are using waterfox and have “inclusion of the “proton”
          features imported from FF” it can break the find function.  It was done recently around the time of the forum skin change.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I’m still using Waterfox Classic, which is based on Firefox 56 esr, so no inclusion of any “proton” features.

I’m not quite getting how the phrase rt n would find the new tag?

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I’ll try to explain it another way 🙂 You’ll notice that there’s a black tag with ‘new’ to the left of the date of this reply.

Before the skin change, the string XXXX | YYYYY | REPORT was positioned just below and to the right of each post. To find each black ‘new’ tag in a topic, we could search (Ctrl F) for rt n and click through to find each occurrence. The ‘rt’ matched the RT in REPORT, the ‘n’ matched n in the word new (in the black tag), and the space was in between REPORT and new.

After the skin change, the string was replaced with REPLY | THANKS | QUOTE. Using the same search technique — te n — does not work for some reason.

I hope this clarifies how rt n used to be able to find the new tags.

New Tag Search

For a long time after I first started using AskWoody.com, I “found” (pun intended) finding any “NEW” posts in a long topic very hard.

Then I stumbled onto a post mentioning an extension for Chrome that did “Regex Searches”.

I Googled about that, and found the extension, installed it and learned how to use it.

It is activated by a “Ctrl-Shift-F” key press, then the string “new$” (no quotes) is typed into the search box that open in the upper right-hand area at the end of the BookMarks bar in Chrome.

It then mainly high-lights the “new” in the black boxes in a new post (along with some plain “new” words in the body of a post, oh well…)

Is there not a similar “extension” for the Pale Moon, Water Fox, Fire Fox based web browsers?

I have no idea; just thought I’d throw it out there, see if any body knows.

Regex Search – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US) (mozilla.org)

Plug in above.

This is one feature request that I’m not sure I’m going to be able to fix. This is an example of smart people finding a fantastic way to do something that wasn’t intended to be there in the first place.

In the mean time I’ll research if there is any better “new posts” plug in that may help the situation.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Thanks, Susan. For now, I think that @wavy and I will just have to either search for all occurrences of “new” or scroll vertically in order to find all the black tags since last visit.

And to make it easier for use could you have the forum sw blank out any words the have ‘new’ in them? OK just joking. I looked int the regex option but that extension does not work with Pale Moon.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Am I recalling incorrectly or is this now not working

Wasn’t this how it worked under the old format, prior to the recent revamp?

I found an Pale Moon extension that, while not doing regex allows for a drop down list of past phrases. Where it gets those when first installed I have no idea. The ext is

Searchbar like Findbar

Its has a few bugs and will not allow a search box in full screen.
      Oh well 🤨

🍻

Odd! I have been coming here, to AskWoody, for the last three years and never had this problem. Or heard of searching for ‘rt n’. My technique for finding, in a thread that interests me, posted comments I have not seen before, is to start with the latest, by clicking on the posted time above the handle of the most recent person that posted in this thread, as listed in “New posts: Last whatever”, and doing that magically transports me to the comment in question, the last in the thread; once I’ve read that comment, from there I start scrolling up and up and up … paying also passing attention to the dates of the comments as they go by, and also to who posted them.

If the thread is not super long, this is quite a productive search method for YT. I recommend it.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Each to heir own , I use new post since last visit, but some times I might want to go to a new post from a different point. As you know the forum has its glitches and one may find oneself not where it is desired to be.

🍻

Wavy: As I have explained to some length in another thread, I have been having trouble with doing searches of any string of characters for some time with Waterfox, and someone, I think it was PK, had similar problems, maybe with WF, or with its elder Mozilla brother FF, and it was all traced to the new skins of the browsers, that is implemented with something called “proton”, I believe both in FF and in the previous “G3” version of WF. The newest version of WF, called “4G”, is at present being “softly” (slowly) rolled out, according to WF Master Wizard Developer Alex Kontos, so I have not had it offered to me yet. The new skin coming with G4 is called “lepton”, which is just a play on quantum-mechanical terminology and could actually mean (among other things) “proton.” So here I wait in hope, but keeping my powder dry. And using Chrome for doing the necessary searches through long threads, as these work just fine when using this much denostated browser.

In all probability, this is not an AskWoody-generated issue and, if so, is not something to be improved on in this site.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Reply To: rt n search no longer finding new posts?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.