News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Run Mac OS 8 on a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900

Posted on Alex5723 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Run Mac OS 8 on a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

..you can now run Mac OS 8 on a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900 without any messing about with separate emulators and OS installs. The whole thing runs on your Mac as a single, standalone Javascript app…

You can also run it on a Windows or Linux machine.

The virtual machine is emulating a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900 with a Motorola CPU, which Apple used before switching to IBM’s PowerPC architecture in the late 1990s.

Bear in mind that this is written entirely in JavaScript, so please adjust your expectations….

You’ll find various games and demos preinstalled, thanks to an old MacWorld Demo CD from 1997. Namely, Oregon Trail, Duke Nukem 3D, Civilization II, Alley 19 Bowling, Damage Incorporated, and Dungeons & Dragons.

There are also various apps and trials preinstalled, including Photoshop 3, Premiere 4, Illustrator 5.5, StuffIt Expander…

The web was quite different 30 years ago — and you wouldn’t be able to open even Google. However, Internet Explorer and Netscape are installed…

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2284008 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

You can now run Mac OS 8 on a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900 — as a Mac app

I found the app was using around 100% of one CPU core

nostalgia burnout?
        The very same developer done this with Windows 95: https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95

| Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 | Win7 Pro x86/x64 Offline |
        2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2285471 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I don’t have this installed, but I have SheepShaver installed running Mac OS 8 and WordPerfect for Mac over on my older iMac.

I also managed to get NeXTSTEP OpenStep running in VirtualBox on my older iMac.

Now I just need to add an Apple II emulator.

Plus my PowerBook G4 is running Leopard better than ever.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Run Mac OS 8 on a 1991 Macintosh Quadra 900

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.