News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Running update from an elevated cmd prompt

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Running update from an elevated cmd prompt

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I want to check my update settings [and try doing the settings that’ll get me 1903 from my current 1809.   I hate logging in the admin user: it messes up windows settings that don’t get put back when I exit it.  So I try to do everything I need to do as admin either with {run as adminstrator} or from an elevated command prompt.

One thing this *doesn’t* see to work for is windows-settings.   I tried [from an elevated command prompt] “start ms-settings:” and it opened an as-me settings window, rather than an admin one.   *IS* there a way to get at the full windows-updates settings from a regular account, or is the only way to actually log in as admin and do it from there?

• #2142091 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

If you have a Pro version I think a standard user has access to Group Policy where you can change the Windows Update settings to get 1903.
        Or

Open the Command Prompt (cmd.exe), type “start ms-settings:” without the quotation marks and press Enter. Alternatively, you can open PowerShell, type the same command and press Enter. Once you press Enter on your keyboard, Windows 10 immediately opens the Settings app

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/introducing-windows-10-ways-open-settings

• #2142107 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

That’s perfect!  All I need is a traslation from PKCano’s advice to the policy settings.

What I’ve got is “Do not include drivers” enabled; Configure automatic updates enabled. Nothing else is configured. .  Ah, I found it.  under configurd automatic updates, I get “2 – notify for downlaod and updates”.  Ah, I found it the missing setting – they’re in the “for business” sub policy of the updates branch. Now I can set them as PKCano describes [via the GUI].

I wonder why he disparages using gpedit to do this… it seems so easy.  🙂

Thanks!!  Problem solved…

• #2142110 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

If you use gpedit to set deferrals, and particularly the settings under Windows Update for business, you will lose use of the GUI settings. They will be grayed out.
          It is much easier to just set the “2” and leave the GUI settings easy to get to.
          See AKB2000016 for some suggestions.

• #2142121 Reply
            berniec
            AskWoody Plus

The problem is that it isn’t easier [for me] from the GUI.   Those settings only show up in the GUI if you’re logged in as an admin, and I almost never do that because when I log into the admin account it messes with a bunch of UI settings that don’t get set back the way I want them when I exit and go back to my normal account.  Using gpedit is more convenient [for me] because it WILL run as admin when started from an elevated cmd window, the Updates GUI won’t.

• #2142128 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

You should do whatever works for you.

• #2142155 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Educate me please: I’m on Win 7 and trying to comprehend the differences in 10.

The top post has

I hate logging in the admin user: it messes up windows settings that don’t get put back when I exit it.

and 2142121 has

Those settings only show up in the GUI if you’re logged in as an admin, and I almost never do that because when I log into the admin account it messes with a bunch of UI settings that don’t get set back the way I want them when I exit and go back to my normal account.

Are you saying that the settings in the ‘normal’ account are found to have been changed after you: a) log into admin; b) make some changes, (are you changing any of the UI in admin?); c) log off admin; d) log back on to normal?

• #2142172 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

It is nothing serious, just dumb/annoying stuff that I could fix by making my admin environment agree with my user environment.  For example: I have the numlock key disabled [in my keyboard config] and I also have numlock set, so my keypad is permanently numlock’ed.  BUT: in my admin environment, it is NOT numlock’ed .  So I log out of admin and get back to my user environment and I’m stuck without a numeric keypad.  And I can’t easily fix it!  I go and re-enable the numlock key, turn on numlock and then disable it again.  there’s some other stuff like that and I “log in” as admin *so* infrequently, I never think to fix them and so then I’m a bit bothered when I get back to my user environment.   I could do the “update setting” *correctly*, but if there’s an easy workaround [in this case via the group policy editor] that works for me. I’m comfortable doing things like that… some folk aren’t.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Running update from an elevated cmd prompt

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.