News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Running Windows 10 PC for the First Time

Posted on Kathy Stevens Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Running Windows 10 PC for the First Time

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

One of our friends is purchasing a HP 17 Laptop PC – Product number: 8YK40AV.

The PC architecture includes: Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 (1.3 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) + Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics; 16 GB Intel® Optane™ memory; 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2x4GB); Windows 10 Home 64 Plus; a 1 TB SATA hard drive; Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2×2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo; HP TrueVision HD Camera + Mic; and DVD-Writer; as well as Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2019.

I will be helping them set it up via a phone cal.

Can anyone point me to a good set of step by step instructions for running the machine for the first time?  I.E. unplug their internet, then ????????

• #2265402 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The only thing you really need to decide is “do you want an MS account”. If not unplug from the internet, set up, then plug in the internet for updates.

And which backup software you are going to load – they have bought an external disk to go with it?

cheers, Paul

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Paul T.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2265406 Reply
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

Just remembered that  HP has instructions for Setting Up Windows 10 for the First Time at   https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04941742

However, I am still open to any tips and/or suggestions for getting the thing up and running for the first time.

• #2265442 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

First-time setup needs to be completely disconnected from the Internet. Otherwise, you will be forced into a Microsoft ID.

You should disconnect from the Internet, complete the setup with a LOCAL ID, go through all the settings to match your security/telemetry tolerance (particularly Windows Update settings), then connect to the Internet to finish the updates.

BTW, they should see it they can get the Pro Edition instead of Home.

• #2265479 Reply
            Kathy Stevens
            AskWoody Plus

The computer is being purchased directly from HP.

Unfortunately, the HP custom configuration options only include Windows 10 Home 64.

• #2265482 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

Have you talked to the sales Rep? They may be able to make exceptions.

• #2265521 Reply
                Kathy Stevens
                AskWoody Plus

Talking to a sales rep is a good idea. I will recommend that they do that.

The problem that I am facing with the people getting the new PC is that they want their computer to work like their refrigerator. Plug it in and let it run for a decade or more.

They are replacing a 10+ year old Windows 7 touch screen PC. They had not updated the old machine for years. And they refuse to attempt to update the old PC from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10.

We will see if they will spring for the additional cost of Windows 10 Professional.

• #2265737 Reply
              Elly
              AskWoody MVP

If you look for business machines on their site, they will have options for Pro… but it may be moot, since it sounds like it is already purchased…

Also, look at Susan’s article in this week’s AskWoody’s Newsletter.

I thought @RetiredGeek had an interesting additional step that I’d never thought of:

It may be unusual but the first step I take in setting up a new PC is to boot it from a Macrium Reflect Boot Disk/USB Key and do an Image Backup of the hard drive.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2265753 Reply
                Elly
                AskWoody MVP

Forget their business section, as their options are much more expensive than the deal they are currently offering for the Home model. It is cheaper to just upgrade to Pro separately (assuming they decide to do so). They are having a sale on the Home edition… not seeing a sale for the business ones.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2265877 Reply
                Kathy Stevens
                AskWoody Plus

They purchased a “Home” model (HP 17 Laptop PC 8YK40AV) at the Memorial Day Sale price for delivery in mid-June.

We will see if they will spend the extra $100.00 for a Pro key.

Other than being able to delay Windows 10 updates is there a driving reason to upgrade to Pro for seniors who will use the machine for basic Microsoft Office 2019 applications, along with e-mail (Thunderbird), internet (Firefox and DuckDuckGo), Netflix, and video conferencing with children and grandchildren?

They will not us any of the Windows 10 bells and whistles such as One Note, cloud storage, Microsoft Store, X-Box, etc. All they want is to replicate their existing Windows 7 experience.

• #2265880 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

I see no compelling reason to use Pro on a machine for mere mortals. For those of us wanting to babysit our machines it has value.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Running Windows 10 PC for the First Time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.