• Safe to remove flash drive

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 22H2 » Safe to remove flash drive

Author
    Topic

On my only 22H2 machine, I’m not getting the “safe to remove” message when I eject a flash drive. Did Microsoft do something?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

You didn’t say whether you are Win10 or Win11, but I found this source helpful for Win 10:
      12 Ways to Fix Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device Win 10

Just wait a couple of seconds for read/write to settle down.

On my only 22H2 machine, I’m not getting the “safe to remove” message when I eject a flash drive. Did Microsoft do something?

Yes.  If it is still in use, you will get a popup to that effect.  No popup after you’ve done the right-click > Eject means it’s safe to remove.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
      We all have our own reasons for doing the things that we do. We don't all have to do the same things.

You could just remove it anyway. Susan does and has never had an issue.

I have never used the “safely remove”.  I just pull the usb and have never had an issue.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.

After pulling a USB without ‘safely remove..’ every time I insert the USB I get a pop-up to run scan disk in order to the drive.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Maybe I can try again:  It’s Windows 10.  The flash drive is ejected.  I get no pop-up telling me I can’t eject.  The problem is that I don’t get the pop-up, which was there a few weeks ago,  telling me it’s safe to remove the flash drive. Since it’s missing from one desktop computer, and present on every other Win 10 machine — desktops and laptops — that I use, I’d like to know what is amiss.

Call me anal:  I just want it back, where it’s supposed to be.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Safe to remove flash drive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: