News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Safe To Update Yet?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Safe To Update Yet?

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Author
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

I have had my updates paused since before the last Patch Tue. With another Patch Tue coming up is it still OK to leave it paused or do I need to run the patches from last month. Also, are people still having problems with the last updates? I don’t want to run the patches before they are safe, but also don’t want to get too backed up. Thanks in advance everyone.

• #2172051 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Up at the top, in great big numbers, is the DEFCON Rating on patching.
        When it changes to 3 or above, Woody will put up a blog post and publish instructions for safe patching in a ComputerWorld article.

As long as the Rating is 1-2, it means WAIT to patch.

That will give you the answer to your questions. You can read about the DEFCON System by clicking the “MS-DEFCON System” button in the top menubar.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2172071 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

Also, you should look at it the other way around.

Is there anything in the current bunch of patches that you absolutely need?

If so, by all means patch. If not, a little waiting won’t hurt.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2172096 Reply
          bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

Is there anything in the current bunch of patches that you absolutely need?

In view of the many blog posts you have made in the past about Microsoft’s lack of full specifics in KB articles, how does one realistically have a definitive answer for that question?

There may well be something unspecified in the patches/updates that, down the road a piece, may cause a wanted/needed update to stall at xx% without explanation.  How many questions have there been here on AskWoody about just such a scenario?

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2172116 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

I have had my updates paused since before the last Patch Tue. With another Patch Tue coming up is it still OK to leave it paused or do I need to run the patches from last month. Also, are people still having problems with the last updates? I don’t want to run the patches before they are safe, but also don’t want to get too backed up. Thanks in advance everyone.

what version of Windows are you using, CChamp?

• #2172146 Reply
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

what version of Windows are you using, CChamp?

Win 10 Pro version 1909

• #2172148 Reply
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

Up at the top, in great big numbers, is the DEFCON Rating on patching.
        When it changes to 3 or above, Woody will put up a blog post and publish instructions for safe patching in a ComputerWorld article.

As long as the Rating is 1-2, it means WAIT to patch.

That will give you the answer to your questions. You can read about the DEFCON System by clicking the “MS-DEFCON System” button in the top menubar.

Thank you very much for your insightful reply.

• #2172167 Reply
        Cijan
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been watching the MS-DEFCON rating religiously since my pause runs out on March 3. I’m on v 1903 Home. Since there is no way to extend the pause, is there anything else I can do to prevent the updates until we get to MS-DEFCON 3 or Woody/Susan give the go-ahead?

BTW — I’ve got metered connection set, but I know it will automatically download some updates as soon as the pause is lifted.

• #2172175 Reply
        anonymous

Someone had a trick to extend the pause.  https://www.askwoody.com/2020/is-there-a-way-to-cheat-pause-update/

There are third party utilities to block updates, or get a gui to pick updates from.  Windows Update Blocker is one, and wumgr.  If you use them, make a note somewhere so later if updates aren’t working you remember why.

• #2172186 Reply
        Cijan
        AskWoody Plus

Hmmm… tempting, but not sure I want to be a guinea pig! I’ll wait to see if anyone else responds that they’ve tried it. I don’t want to bother with 3rd party utilities right now, but that’s something I’ll investigate later.

If I do try it (closer to the March 3 desperation date!) I’ll update here, and on the other post that had the airplane mode trick.

• #2172207 Reply
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been watching the MS-DEFCON rating religiously since my pause runs out on March 3. I’m on v 1903 Home. Since there is no way to extend the pause, is there anything else I can do to prevent the updates until we get to MS-DEFCON 3 or Woody/Susan give the go-ahead?

BTW — I’ve got metered connection set, but I know it will automatically download some updates as soon as the pause is lifted.

On other Windows forums, I have heard this one (StopUpdates10) mentioned quite a bit. Haven’t used it …yet.

• #2172209 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

There may well be something unspecified in the patches/updates that, down the road a piece, may cause a wanted/needed update to stall at xx% without explanation.

Which is precisely why I rarely recommend that people skip a month entirely. It’s just a matter of timing.

• #2172211 Reply
        zero2dash
        AskWoody Lounger

My 1903 machines just updated with no issues…I would imagine the 1909 updates are safe as well.

• #2172218 Reply
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

There may well be something unspecified in the patches/updates that, down the road a piece, may cause a wanted/needed update to stall at xx% without explanation.

Which is precisely why I rarely recommend that people skip a month entirely. It’s just a matter of timing.

Then, are you saying here in a few days just before patch Tue should we do the updates from the last patch Tue?

• #2172220 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

When Woody raises the DEFCON number to 3 or greater is the time to patch. Be sure you read his instructions before you do so. They will be linked on the main blog post at the time.

• #2172231 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

I always pause the updates for two weeks,  and at the end of that time I consider what evidence is available about them, including but not limited to the current defcon rating.  This month (Feb) there was a comment from Susan Bradley saying that she had installed the updates on various machines with no ill effect.  Susan is usually very cautious about updates, and I respect that, so when my two weeks expired I decided to go ahead and install.  I have a desktop and a laptop, both running 1909, and there have been no ill effects on either.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1909

• #2172243 Reply
        Carl
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve seen a few comments that metered connections still allow some updates to squeak by on Home editions. This has not been my experience with Win 10 Pro 1909. I do have driver updates disabled (GPO) and a few other tweaks, but if I unpause updates I don’t see any updates offered unless I turn off metered connections. Am I confused? (I’m relatively inexperienced with Win 10).

• #2172285 Reply
        anonymous

There is an RSS icon on the farthest right of the Askwoody home page that with an RSS reader I think will show you new posts so you would quickly see a change in the MS-DEFCON.  Subscribers would also get an email.

• #2172347 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

in a word, NO

Viewing 16 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Safe To Update Yet?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.