News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Scam Alert

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

I have received 2 different Scam E-Mails(as if they were receipts) with the same phone number to call if I have a problem 1-800-292-7691. Of course I NEVER had any thing to do with either product.

Product 1 was called Network Security from eldoncorrie4480@gmail.com

Product 2 was called Norton Ultimate Protection Subscription 1yr/10 devices from casalekyle0@gmail.com. This also references Lovell having received my order. Of course, there are multiple references to Lovell in Google and none make sense for this issue.

I contacted the FBI yesterday about the second issue.

Does anyone have any information on these Scams?

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Report them to “abuse@google.com”.

Google MAY do something about, but, if you don’t report it, it never happened.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

ChuckR
        AskWoody Plus

I forwarded the e-mails to abuse@google.com.  I found an option in cox.net that marks e-mails as spam.   I will use this often.  Thanks

Kirsty
          Manager

You can also report malspam to blacklists such as Cleantalk. Where an email address has already been marked as spam in cleantalk, you can add details of your contact at the bottom of the page; if it hasn’t been previously reported as spam, use the Report IP link, where you can also report on email addresses.

Additionally, the IP address found in the header can similarly be added to blacklists. See WhatIsMyIPAddress.com’s Trace Email page.

SallyBrown
        AskWoody Plus

If I hadn’t seen this email would it matter?

Best offense is a good defense. Delete them from your inbox and the server, mark as junk, spam. Make a filter rule to block the sender but spammers have limitless addresses to use, as well as IP’s. This works best if you’re getting spammed by particular recognized merchants and block the sender’s name. Spammers and trolls are best ignored and blocked.

Report it if you want but they, the botnet they use or someone else will be right back at it tomorrow. Cox is who you should start with if they provide your email service. Google does nothing to stop spam, they tacitly encourage it. Unless you complain, which millions do each hour.

One day a few years ago, I noticed the Google News home page was hacked with, can I write this and make it stick, lots of prawn, yeah some of the articles were overlayed with that stuff. I reported it repeatedly, couldn’t have been the only one but it remained for almost a day before it disappeared. Don’t count on Google for much…hope springs eternal. 🙂

If you can afford a subscription email service with a hard spam block, that’s a great option. This stuff will always go on but you don’t have to see it.

Mailbox, posteo and a few others are good.

Something interesting about the whole subject, only one of the people doing this. For fifteen years:
        https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/07/spam-kingpin-peter-levashov-gets-time-served/

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Scam Alert

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.