News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Scan external HDD

Posted on cmptrgy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    • This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I have a 2TB external HDD I use for MRF System Image Backups along with saving data for people I help. This weekend I saved a friends data and there are some infections which I normally would have scanned for on his PC which is Win10 Home version 2004 which installed in Aug this year 2020. Logging in is OK, but the PC is in terrible shape and troubleshooting is more than very limited.

How can I scan the 2TB external HDD? Using WD & newly installed MBAM Free scans only my 320GB HDD.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

• #2296219 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Malwarebytes Free is only an on-demand manual scanner, not a full-time A/V.
        What real-time (scans in the background) A/V are you using? By WD do you mean Windows Defender?
        You should be able to do a “custom” scan with your full-time A/V that focuses on any drive you point it at.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by PKCano.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2296512 Reply
          CAS
          AskWoody Plus

PK, I use Malwarebytes Premium as my sole AV and it has never disappointed me. It will scan an external hard drive for malware, etc.

If one of you wishes to do so, after opening the application and where it says “Scan”, click on “Scheduled Scans.” A new window will open and will show “Scan” and “Advanced Scanners”. Click on the latter. Another window will open and will show “Quick Scan” and Custom Scan”. Click on the latter and then click on “Configure Custom Scan” and you will see your C drive and your External HD, if it is connected. Then click on Scan for one or both of the drives. This link will offer additional options available.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by CAS. Reason: added link
      • #2296271 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Non-rhetorical question – Does an AV scan discover malware if a file is compressed, as in Macrium Reflect Compression?

• #2296277 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

No simple answer possible for the general case.

In a number of specific cases, many AV scanners know how to scan inside many kinds of compression packages, especially the common ones.

Specific case 1, Macrium Reflect compresses disk images, not individual files, so I’d expect any malware in individual files within the imaged and compressed disk probably are not discovered.

Specific case 2, malware inside a zip package on your normal disk – that I’d really expect to be found.

• #2296374 Reply
            Bundaburra
            AskWoody Plus

Regarding specific case 1, “any malware in individual files within the imaged and compressed disk probably are not discovered”, in Macrium you could “mount” the image as a disk drive (Restore > Explore Image, select an image and give it a drive letter) and then run a scan on that new drive.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

• #2296438 Reply
              mn–
              AskWoody Lounger

… right, in that case it’s decompressed by the virtual mount process before it gets scanned. Could’ve made that clearer.

So can scan such drives, but probably not images that aren’t currently attached to a drive letter.

More standard kinds of images… say, .iso files… could be within the scanner’s capabilities. Or could not be, or there could be a size limit (once, long ago, saw a scanner once that could handle a CDROM .iso but not a DVD .iso because the DVD was bigger).

• #2296368 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Malwarebytes Free is only an on-demand manual scanner, not a full-time A/V.
        What real-time (scans in the background) A/V are you using? By WD do you mean Windows Defender?
        You should be able to do a “custom” scan with your full-time A/V that focuses on any drive you point it at.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by PKCano.

You are correct, WD does mean Windows Defender.
        I’ll look into the possibility of a custom scan in both WD and Malwarebytes Free

• #2296380 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I will be referring to this article
        How to make Windows Defender Antivirus scan external drives for malware
        Windows Defender Antivirus doesn’t scan removable drives during full scans by default, but there are ways to enable the functionality. Here’s how.
        https://www.windowscentral.com/how-include-external-drives-during-full-scan-windows-defender-antivirus

• #2296504 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

With WD You can also choose Custom Scan and pick the drive to scan as a one-off.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2297214 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

Finally got to check my external HDD. Used Windows Defender custom scan instead of the article I had found. Everything came out clean. That’s the first time I’ve used my external HDD to save someone’s data and it’s also the last time. Thanks everyone.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Scan external HDD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.