News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Scary Ride on a Ski Lift

Posted on MrJimPhelps Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Connected home / Internet of things Scary Ride on a Ski Lift

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

How would you like to take a ride up the mountain on a ski lift whose control panel is wide open on the internet? This was recently the case in Innsbruck, Austria. There wasn’t even any login screen that someone would have to deal with.

Settings for controlling the ski lift's speed, the distance between cable cars, and cable tension were all exposed in the open, along with logs and other data.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ski-lift-in-austria-left-control-panel-open-on-the-internet/

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #187648 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

No, I would not like to take a ride on that ski lift. Expect to see more of same situation in the future.

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro·x64·SP1·i3-3220·HDD·Microsoft Security Essentials·Windows Backup·Windows System Image·Windows Rescue Disk·Windows Firewall
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #187653 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

At least the city of Innsbruck immediately shut down the ski lift and began a thorough security audit of the situation. That is encouraging.

I don’t see any reason why they need to make something like that internet-accessible. It would be a lot safer to have someone onsite adjusting the controls, as opposed to someone sitting in an office somewhere else remotely making adjustments. I mean, this isn’t your thermostat or your coffee pot; this involves people’s lives.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #187684 Reply

anonymous

Coffee pots and thermostats also should not be internet aware devices. :/

3 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Scary Ride on a Ski Lift

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.