News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Scheduled down time early Sunday morning, US time

Home Forums AskWoody blog Scheduled down time early Sunday morning, US time

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

We’re going to be down for maintenance very early Sunday morning, July 12, from 2 am to 4 am Pacific Daylight Time. Gotta start getting the ducks line
        [See the full post at: Scheduled down time early Sunday morning, US time]

10 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279271 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

What will be new or improved?

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.959 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox80.0b4 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • #2279278 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

geekdom: “What will be new or improved?

Excellent question!

Having, quite by chance, become privy to highly classified AskWoody’s information, and while you might say it, I couldn’t possible confirm that whereas now the “twitchy finger spam blocker” takes away one’s posting “to be moderated” if it sees more than one URL link pasted on it, with the new and improved system the finger will twitch with zero or more than zero links.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2279285 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

More secure, more stable – just like a new Windows version – but without the headaches.

I hope.

9 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2279556 Reply
        anonymous

Will this fix the pops ads that show up asking for money for the woody site?

• #2279593 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

We have never, ever had pop-up ads asking for anything, much less money.

I used to run banner ads, and hated it. We kept getting automatically dished-up ads for products that I, personally, would never recommend. So I made the decision years ago that AskWoody would either sink or swim, based on donations from those who wish to participate.

There are no ads on AskWoody.com. No trackers (except the odd one that comes along with a posted YouTube video or Twitter tweet). There are no ads in the Plus Newsletter. None.

We do have one ad every week in the AskWoody Free Newsletter. It’s at the top, clearly identified as an ad, and they come from companies I trust.

The previous owners of Windows Secrets charged $39 or $59 for a one-year subscription to the newsletter. I believe we have a far superior newsletter, and it doesn’t have a fixed price — you get to choose how much you pay.

It’s a radical concept. Haven’t turned a profit yet, but at least we’ve been breaking even. And, no, I don’t pay myself anything. Volunteers drive the whole organization.

5 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2279612 Reply
          anonymous

If you’re getting pop-up ads asking for money for this site, I’d suggest you update your anti-malware program to the latest definitions and run a scan, as you may very well be infected with malware that’s causing your browser to display pop up ads for this site (and maybe even a few others). That type of thing never turns out well for the computer user who is seeing the pop-ups.

As Woody said above, this site hasn’t had ads on the site in a very long time.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Scheduled down time early Sunday morning, US time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.