News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Screen goes black

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Screen goes black

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  satrow 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Rhino
      AskWoody Plus

I am using Windows 7 x64, 500Gb SSD, 16Gb RAM, 4Gb VRAM; software and drivers all updated. From time to time the display switches off, black screen, without any warning. This can happen after 10 hours, or 10 minutes. The machine is still running, the power light is on, Bluetooth light on, fan running. The only way recover is to hold the power switch down until the lights go out (about 15 seconds). After that the boot up is normal.

I took it to the Geek Squad, they had no suggestions. My son asked if there were 2 video display adapters, there are:

Nvidia GeForce GT 750M,

Intel HD Graphics 4600.

He told me to disable the Nvidia. That seemed to work, yesterday it ran for 12 hours or more without a problem. Today the display switched off after about 1 hour.

I have used Even Viewer to look at the log file, this is a small section from before the shutdown until after re-booting:

Error    07-Dec-19 10:39:25         Service Control Manager  7000      None      “The WC Assistant service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.”

Critical               07-Dec-19 10:39:15         Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power              41           (63)        The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error    07-Dec-19 10:39:21         EventLog              6008      None      The previous system shutdown at 10:38:22 AM on ‎12/‎7/‎2019 was unexpected.

This has been repeated many times over the past week. Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

• #2017771 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

The critical error is you holding the power button down. It doesn’t tell us anything else.

Can you try running something when the screen goes black?

1. Press these keys together: Win R
      2. Type: shutdown /s /p
      3. Press Enter

Your machine should shutdown.

When did this start happening?

Why do you have an Nvidia if you are using the onboard Intel, or did you swap for the test?

Have you tried disabling the onboard video in the BIOS?

cheers, Paul

• #2017884 Reply

the_Unforgiven
      AskWoody Lounger

Have you done a :-

sfc /scannow

have a good 1 🙂 cheers

• #2017908 Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

… drivers all updated

Did you update both of the graphics drivers from the notebook makers site or … ?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Screen goes black

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.