News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Screen Saver and power settings quit

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Screen Saver and power settings quit

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        jgosney
        AskWoody Plus

A few months ago, my screen saver and power settings .i.e  screen power and PC sleep have completely quit working – despite Windows settings saying they are on.  This a desktop (Dell) unit.  Any clues where to look?

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Stopped working you mean, that PC does not go to sleep mode, does not show screensaver? Like that? Try to specify how its misbehaving, please 🙂

If your PC does not hybernate, sleep or screensave, I would suspect some process “keeping the PC alive”. Example: your mose pad is not propriate and causes mouse cursor to move sometimes, not noticeably, but just once in few minutes. This can prevent from sleeping and hybernating..

But as I said, we need more information.

The basic thing to try is run this command (as administrator) in command line:
        powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

This should reset your power schemes to default. If they do not work right now, what can you lose by trying this command, right 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

jgosney
        AskWoody Plus

Yes PC does not EVER go to sleep or show screen saver.  this is even overnight.  I guess I can try and turn off my mouse & keyboard (wireless) in case some sort of vibration is wiggling it.   Thing is it used to work fine – with same mouse, etc.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

OK, try to unplug mouse and keyboard, thats good start.
          Then have a look, what your actual scheme is. If it is not in “full perfrormance” mode or so.
          Also try to reset your schemes with the CMD command above. You should be able to test all these in several minutes. Set screen saver for one minute for example, so you dontneed to wait too long.

jgosney
        AskWoody Plus

No dice.   I turned screen saver off.  reset to default configs, then changed to “power saver” 1 min screen 2 minute sleep and no good.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

Is anything apart mouse and keyboard connected? USB external drive, camera, …

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Help Desk Geek post

Here are several people complaining about the same. Seems like you are not alone in this one. Cant see any obvious way how to solve this apart of reinstalling W10 from scratch.

jgosney
        AskWoody Plus

ok.   That did it. (not a reinstall – thank goodness!)  I had setup a flight simulator a few months ago.  It has USB rudders, yoke and throttles.  the rudder petals were still plugged in and that was it.  unplugged them and all is well.  thanks ..

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Screen Saver and power settings quit

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.