News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Searching Askwoody Articles

Home Forums AskWoody Central Getting started Searching Askwoody Articles

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  catter 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

catter
      AskWoody Plus

As a former Windows  Secrets subscriber this is my first post so I might be missing  something obvious,  but is it possible to search not just The Lounge but also all the articles by the Askwoody contributors.

I think this would be very  helpful as I found that I often gained very  useful information when I searched the Windows Secrets articles.

Thank you

• #1977484 Reply

Kirsty
      Da Boss

The “Search the Lounge” box on the right-hand panel of every page searches both Lounge and Blog entries. Similarly, you may have some success using a search engine such as StartPage, DuckDuckGo or whatever your preference is, using [site:askwoody.com] to get site results.

Our Forums page is linked on the top menu bar of each page, gives links to all our Lounge Fora. It can be slow to load sometimes.

In addition, the Search for Topics widget on the right-hand panel gives you the option to select topics that have been active recently, with several options.

• #1977549 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Using “site:askwoody.com/forums” will limit searches to the forums.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1977619 Reply

catter
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks to you both for your help with my question

• #1977635 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

If you want to search the contents of the newsletters, it’s a little more complex.

I’ve had the most luck by searching for “Windows Secrets Newsletter” plus whatever search term you’d normally use, finding the correct issue (the newsletters have been replicated all over the internet), then using the issue date to look up the original on the AskWoody site.

It’s cumbersome, but that approach has worked in every case that I’ve come across. It works because the old newsletters were ripped off and posted all over the internet.

• #1978163 Reply

catter
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the tip Woody, looks like that will work fine for me

Catter

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Searching Askwoody Articles

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.