News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Second October patches mostly harmless – but the resurgence of the potentially unwanted “nag” patch, KB 4493132, raises questions

Home Forums AskWoody blog Second October patches mostly harmless – but the resurgence of the potentially unwanted “nag” patch, KB 4493132, raises questions

This topic contains 41 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  b 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

How doth the little crocodile Improve his shining tail, And pour the waters of the Nile On every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin How nea
      [See the full post at: Second October patches mostly harmless – but the resurgence of the potentially unwanted “nag” patch, KB 4493132, raises questions]

6 users thanked author for this post.

TweakHound
      AskWoody Lounger

Win7 Pro x64 fully updated. Just manually ran Windows Update.
      KB4493132 not installed, not offered as important or optional, and not hidden.
      Yes, I know this isn’t “supposed” to be offered to Pro.
      *edit – Just checked my Win7 Ultimate Machine. Offered as Optional/Unchecked in Italics (Recommended).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  TweakHound.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  TweakHound.
      4 users thanked author for this post.

woody
        Da Boss

But according to Barlow’s post, Pro users should be getting it — or something else that implements the nag screen.

I’m perplexed.

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

Win7 Pro users may not be getting the EOL nags until next month, woody

so far KB4493132 is still not applicable to Win7 Pro, unless MS issues a newly revised KB4493132 patch which they have not yet done so

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  EP.

woody
            Da Boss

That would make sense… but it makes me wonder about the timing of Barlows’ announcement.

PKCano
      Da Boss

Oooooops!
      Something went wrong!
      There is no “X” in the upper right corner to install Win10!!

9 users thanked author for this post.

woody
        Da Boss

HA HA HA HA!

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

I guess I am obtuse.

What does this mean:

“We recommend backing up your files to ease the transition.”

What files are they talking about?

Another question.

Is it safe to assume that the last batch of Win7 (all versions) Windows Updates that presumably will go out on the second Tuesday in January 2021 will remain available beyond January 14, 2021?

In other words, can we safely plan on delaying downloading and installing our January 2021 Windows Updates until sometime after January 14, 2021?

Thanks!

Microfix
      Da Boss

Is it safe to assume that the last batch of Win7 (all versions) Windows Updates that presumably will go out on the second Tuesday in January 2021 will remain available beyond January 14, 2021?

In other words, can we safely plan on delaying downloading and installing our January 2021 Windows Updates until sometime after January 14, 2021?

Lucky you! getting an extra year out of Win7..
      2nd Tuesday of 2020 will be the last patches for Win7 unless opting for Enterprise Extended Support. How long patches remain available IS questionable going into 2020..

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

1 user thanked author for this post.

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

Lucky you! getting an extra year out of Win7..
      2nd Tuesday of 2020 will be the last patches for Win7 unless opting for Enterprise Extended Support. How long patches remain available IS questionable going into 2020..

Lol. Ooops. One can only wish for 2021. Need more caffeine.

Thanks.   🙂

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  opti1.

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

well opti1 the only Win7 edition that goes EOL on 2021 is Windows Embedded POSReady 7, which has an EOL date of October 12, 2021. we’ll have to wait and see of the POSReady 7 updates will install & work on other Win7 editions

2 users thanked author for this post.

abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

Fingers crossed

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\POSReady]

“Version”=”7.0”

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  abbodi86.

Mark
      AskWoody Plus

Am I the only one that saw the “mostly harmless” and thought of “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”?

Just remember…bring a towel!

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1709, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Windows Vista Home Premium x64

woody
        Da Boss

I have the full five-volume Hitchhikers Guide sitting on my bedroom table. Just need to find time to re-read it.

And a splint to keep my gut from rupturing.

3 users thanked author for this post.

anonymous

The complete 5 volume “trilogy”! I see jokes within jokes. ( sorry to cross streams, Egon)

johnf
      AskWoody Lounger

What does this mean:

Backup, Backup, Backup, and do it frequently. Don’t trust MS when it comes to updates and not deleting something. And when you upgrade, do a clean re-install of Windows 10 for best results. Or, you can join those of us who are not using MS anymore, if you can.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  johnf.

Ken Sims
      AskWoody Plus

On my Windows 7 Pro system I don’t have it installed and it’s not showing in either Important or Optional. Important has just two second Tuesday patches (Security Rollup and .NET, I already applied the MSRT) and Optional has just the two Previews.

Douglas
      AskWoody Plus

I have Win 7 Pro and I am not seeing that update as Optional/Unchecked or Important/Checked or anything else, nor has it been previously installed.

I am planning to install Win 8.1 Pro (the “full” version, not OEM) very soon to replace my old Win 7 Pro, so I suppose I won’t be seeing an update like that anytime soon?

NightOwl
      AskWoody Plus

@ Woody

Woody wrote:

Are you Win7 Pro users seeing KB 4493132 as Optional/Unchecked or Important/Checked — or do you have it installed already?

Win7 Pro (32-bit), not being offered KB 4493132, Important or Optional, Checked or Unchecked. Also, not installed either.

Oooooops!
      Something went wrong!
      There is no “X” in the upper right corner to install Win10!!

But, really, isn’t the answer *42*! Or, do I remember that wrong?

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

Zathras
      AskWoody Plus

No sign of it on Windows 7 Pro.  I’ve seen it on 7 Home as a recommended update but long ago configured home PCs (and Pro) to ignore anything not marked as “Important”…  ever since the Windows 10 upgrade nonsense.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Zathras.

b
      AskWoody Plus

Speaking of utterly obnoxious Win7 behavior: In a supposedly unrelated development, Microsoft says it will start displaying “Get Windows 10” nag screens to Win7 Pro customers.

Why is an end of service reminder utterly obnoxious?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve just ran a WU scan on a relative’s Dell computer running Win7 SP1 x64 Pro moments ago (Wed 10/16, 11:25am pacific local time) and KB4493132 does not even show up on there.

Maybe either by late October or sometime in November, it may happen (still a matter of either IF or WHEN, woody)
      so far the EOL notifications for Win7 Pro users have not yet occurred

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  EP.

Geo
      AskWoody Plus

I have W7  home premium and it doesn’t show up.  We don’t need reminders.  By now your mind is already made up your either gonna switch or not.

b
        AskWoody Plus

We don’t need reminders.  By now your mind is already made up your either gonna switch or not.

Is that the royal we, or are you speaking on behalf of 450,000,000 Windows 7 users?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

Geo
          AskWoody Plus

I’m speaking on behalf of   Steve Gibson’s  ” Never Ten”     down-loaders from several years ago who already  knew they were not switching.

I installed his “Never 10” several months ago, but I still see the “Anytime Upgrade” link in the lower left hand corner of WU. Referring to 7 Ultimate, 8.0 and/or 8.1 as well as 10…??

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
            --
            "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

Not seen here either. (KB 4493132)

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

well opti1 the only Win7 edition that goes EOL on 2021 is Windows Embedded POSReady 7, which has an EOL date of October 12, 2021. we’ll have to wait and see of the POSReady 7 updates will install & work on other Win7 editions

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I messed up in my post by putting 2021 instead of 2020.

My personal concern is with Win7 Home Premium and whether or not the January 2020 updates will remain readily available after they have been issued or if we will have a limited amount of time in which to apply them before they are withdrawn.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  opti1.

opti1
      AskWoody Plus

Maybe I am over thinking this. I always back up my data files and image my OS drive before installing the monthly Windows Updates.

It’s the ‘to ease the transition’ part of the message that has me confused. Transition to what? Windows 10?

Is there something missing from the screen capture, like maybe a ‘Click here to install Windows 10’ button or something?

Thanks.

Carl D
      AskWoody Lounger

Speaking of utterly obnoxious Win7 behavior: In a supposedly unrelated development, Microsoft says it will start displaying “Get Windows 10” nag screens to Win7 Pro customers.

Just cast your mind back to early 2015.

There wasn’t anything obviously obnoxious about the initial appearance of GWX – it was just a little Windows icon in the notification area of Windows 7 and 8.1 to let people know that Windows 10 was coming.

I don’t need to remind you what happened after that. Microsoft’s “track record” speaks for itself.

I still believe we are going to see GWX Mark 2 in the coming months. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64bit  a couple of weeks back and brought it up to date (minus all the telemetry and other ‘optional’ updates – at least that’s what I thought).

Both GWX Control Panel and Never10 reported that even though the Windows 10 upgrade files were not present on the system, they weren’t blocked. After running abbodi86’s script for ‘neutralizing’ the newly added telemetry, etc. both utilities then reported that I was safe from GWX.

I strongly advise everyone running Windows 7 to periodically check with GWX Control Panel and Never10, especially after installing any updates between now and next January.

3 users thanked author for this post.

willygirl
      AskWoody Plus

KB4493132 is showing up in Optional Updates on my Win7 64-bit Home. Did a “hide update” on it even though I never download/install Optional. Just don’t like looking at it. The PC is updated through Oct. 3 because I jumped the gun and didn’t catch the switch from Defcon 3 to 1 in time. BUT, everything is running good since then, just waiting for the Defcon number to go up. Maybe I’ll put a spell on MS’s next attempt to plant another GWX.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

the KB4493132 update still has not shown up for Win7 PRO systems, willygirl

only for “consumer” editions like Home basic, Home premium and Ultimate the KB4493132 update is being offered

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  EP.

PerthMike
      AskWoody Plus

Because it is an ad to buy an operating system that can serve you ads and unwanted apps every day of the week.

No matter where you go, there you are.

woody
        Da Boss

I guess obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder.

b
          AskWoody Plus

Will I get an utterly obnoxious reminder from you when my Plus subscription is about to expire?

Kirsty
            Da Boss

Hopefully your emailed Plus subscription reminder will be discreet and appropriate, instead of obnoxious!

Gee, talk about a thread getting off topic!

4 users thanked author for this post.

b
              AskWoody Plus

Hopefully as discreet and appropriate as Microsoft’s Win7 EOS reminder.

In which case I won’t even consider it to be a potentially unwanted nag.

Not off topic in the slightest.

b
        AskWoody Plus

Because it is an ad to buy an operating system that can serve you ads and unwanted apps every day of the week.

It’s a public service announcement, not an ad.

I don’t get ads or unwanted apps any day of the week on Windows 10 (and nor do most of the 900,000,000 users).

Ed
          AskWoody Lounger

“I don’t get ads or unwanted apps any day of the week on Windows 10 (and nor do most of the 900,000,000 users).”

Not YET but most likely coming at some point in time… and I’m sure they’ll label it as a “Feature”!

b
            AskWoody Plus

Not YET but most likely coming at some point in time… and I’m sure they’ll label it as a “Feature”!

No room for new features this year; both have already been finalized for the November update. 😮

b
      AskWoody Plus

Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. For more information, see KB 4525208.

Just one little problem. As of early Wednesday morning anyway, there is no KB 4525208.

It’s there now (Server only?):

Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

b
      AskWoody Plus

Woody's here to help

Actual-here-to-help

Notifications
      As explained in our March 12, 2019 blog post, Microsoft will deliver a handful of reminder notifications through the end of 2019 with recommend actions to take ahead of Windows 7 end of support. To learn more about Windows 7 end of support, you can visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows7 or review our frequently asked questions above.

Why did I receive a notification about Windows 7?
      Ten years after the initial release of Windows 7, support is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. You are receiving notifications as a Windows 7 customer so that you have plenty of time to get ready. After that, technical assistance and updates that help protect your PC will no longer be available. These notifications will link to information to help you with recommended actions, answer questions you might have, and provide resources to assist in this transition period.

What happens when I close the notification?
      When you close the notification window, it will simply close.

Moderator note: Content truncated. Quoting an article in its entirity is against site rules. Please print only a snippet and provide a link to the rest of the content.

Attachments:

The topic ‘Second October patches mostly harmless – but the resurgence of the potentially unwanted “nag” patch, KB 4493132, raises questions’ is closed to new replies.