News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Security updates will not install since Aug 2018

Posted on jperry01 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 8.1 Windows 8.1 (and Win 8) patches Security updates will not install since Aug 2018

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ch100 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

jperry01
      AskWoody Lounger

Every month since Aug 2018, I have attempted to install the cumulative security updates for the Win 8.1 OS. It freezes on the reboot portion of the update process every time and I have to reinstall from backups. The updates for office work.

I’ve researched the issue, but no one else appears to have this problem, so I have to assume its an issue unique to my system.

Other than -“Don’t install the updates”, does anyone have a suggestion as to a resource for resolving the issue?

J. Perry

• #240551 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Download it from Microsoft and run it on your computer.

• #240566 Reply

ch100
      AskWoody_MVP

1. Open command line – search for cmd, right-click and Run as administrator.
      2. Type in the command line: Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      Do not run the ResetBase command presented in the article below. It is asking for trouble if you are not fully aware of the consequences.
      You can run the scheduled task mentioned as alternative if you are not comfortable with command line.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/clean-up-the-winsxs-folder

If StartComponentCleanup does not complete successfully, then run from the same command line:

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
      dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Run them as many times you need in addition to the StartComponentCleanup presented earlier. They take a long time, but do not use methods often presented here like disconnecting from the internet, installing updates manually etc.

Only follow Woody’s MS-DEFCON and update from Windows Update when the time comes and you should be fine.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Security updates will not install since Aug 2018

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.