News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Seeking advice on 2FA solutions

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Seeking advice on 2FA solutions

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I read this article recently at Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/05/choosing-2fa-authenticator-apps-can-be-hard-ars-did-it-so-you-dont-have-to/

(hopefully not breaking any rules about links here on my first forum post)

In it was a discussion of the author’s preferred 2FA solutions and also problems with Google’s mobile-based solution.  I was wondering if readers of this forum (or authors of the newsletter) had opinions on the best solution.

Also, I was looking for any advice on multi-factor authentication solutions that do not require a mobile device to use with a PC.  Expense is of course a concern, but I am not excluding any possibility of a paid service to ensure security on my web-based accounts.

Thanks for any insights.

• #2268528 Reply
        kreela
        AskWoody Plus

I use lastpass’s mobile authenticator and really like the easy-to-see visual clock for the countdown. I also hear that Microsoft’s authenticator is fine, especially for office. The physical alternative is a yubi key but I have not used it. 2FA requires a second device you own to prevent someone breaking into your email account to use it as an alternative way to verify identity.
        Security depends upon something you know (password), something you have (phone, watch, or key), something you are (eye, face, fingerprint), and I forget the other element. While I hate the possibility of locking myself out of paypal or work because I dropped my phone, I hate even more spending months rescuing my bank accounts, credit cards, passwords, etc. It was painful.

• #2268612 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Also, I was looking for any advice on multi-factor authentication solutions that do not require a mobile device to use with a PC

Wait for the FIDO2 project

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Seeking advice on 2FA solutions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.