• Seeking opinions: Is now the time to switch from Win10Pro to Win11Pro?

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 11 » Questions about Windows 11 » Seeking opinions: Is now the time to switch from Win10Pro to Win11Pro?

Author
    Topic

I’m an “educated user”, been playing around with PCs since 1982, done compiled BASIC, Pascal, VMS and HTML/XML coding. I can’t quite work out if now is the time to make the shift to Win11, with all configuration and resetting up pain that will entail, given that I will need to make the shift sooner or later — and I’m very keen on maintaining optimal security and privacy conditions, which I’m told are enhanced in Win11. So I’m seeking a sort of gestalt guidance here, as I’m certain there’s no one better than the Woody people to provide it. Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I can’t imagine why you would regret moving now rather than later (unless you must have the task bar at the top of your screen instead of the bottom!).

P.S. I wouldn’t have said this before 22H2 was released 10 days ago.

Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 build 22621.898 + Microsoft 365/Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.

I like the “do nothing” option.
      I’m used to W10 and have better things to do than upgrade at present.

cheers, Paul

3 users thanked author for this post.

Whatever you decide, make your backups. All versions require care and feeding these days.

Carpe Diem {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender
      offline▸ Acer TravelMate P215-52 RAM8GB Win11Pro 22H2.22621.674 x64 i5-10210U SSD Firefox106.0 MicrosoftDefender
      online▸ Win11Pro 22H2.22621.819 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox108.0b7 MicrosoftDefender
      2 users thanked author for this post.

Couldn’t agree more: I do weekly images using Macrium Reflect, plus before Patch Tuesdays.

I haven’t seen anything about Windows 11 that would motivate me to “upgrade”. Windows 10 extended support ends in October 2025. Barring an early end to driver updates for my hardware, that’s when I’ll look into moving on – if I still need Windows at all.

Linux Mint 20.3 | Windows 10 Home 21H1

Microsoft themselves advise not to if you have or use a printer:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2?some-installed-printers-might-only-allow-default-settings#2913msgdesc

It’s your device and Microsoft’s OS, I’d wait! ymmv

I’ve been running Win 11 Pro without problems since it was initially released. Microsoft continues to gradually address various things that were left out of the initial release.

As with any major update/upgrade, make an image backup of your system before you start the upgrade. You may want to make a separate backup of your data. Make sure you have installation media/files for all your important apps. Make sure you have product keys where required. In general, be prepared for the worst scenario.

--Joe

Hm… I sort of hoped an image backup would obviate the need for a separate data backup, but gathering all the app installation files — even if they pretty much all still exist in my Downloads folder — makes sense, particularly as the original install file for, say, Macrium Reflect is now many Macrium updates old.

I’m in the better-to-be safe camp when it comes to my data. An image backup should be enough but what happens if you somehow can’t access the image?

--Joe

If you are a business with an E5 license and the hardware to support the security features, yes.

If you are an IT pro/enthusiast who wants to stay one step ahead, yes.

If you realize that they are finally putting back in the task manager AFTER A YEAR, yes.

If you are a normal Windows user, 22H2 is getting closer, but still has a smidge more polishing (see task manager above).

What kind of Windows user are you?  Bleeding edge enthusiast or I just want it to work?  We’re still not to the “I just want it to work” deployment mode yet.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

If you realize that they are finally putting back in the task manager AFTER A YEAR, yes.

You make it sound like Task Manager disappeared completely, but it was only the right-click on taskbar to access it via a menu that went away.

I was surprised that was removed too, but a right-click on the Start button (a few inches away) could still access Task Manager via a menu since the release of Windows 11, just as for Windows 10. And access to Task Manager directly via Ctrl + Shift + Esc or indirectly via Ctrl + Alt + Del never changed either.

I’m glad to have seen today that it’s coming back to the taskbar (blank part) right-click, for Dev channel Insiders only so far, but was this really a valid reason for anyone to avoid Windows 11?

If you are a normal Windows user, 22H2 is getting closer, but still has a smidge more polishing (see task manager above).

Task Manager in 22H2 is much improved with the addition of efficiency mode, browser tab and extension processes, suspended process icon, dark mode, color themes, accent color heatmap, new menus/icons/transparency/corners, new keyboard shortcuts etc.

You make it sound like Task Manager disappeared completely, but it was only the right-click on taskbar to access it via a menu that went away.

Yep, but you have to admit it’s a PITA going from working on a 10 system to 11 with the goofy, foolish changes. Even MS realized that was a mistake and will be changing it!

Never Say Never

As a person who uses Win 7, Win 10, Win 11, Server 2019, Server 2012 R2, and 30 someodd YEARS of right mouse clicking the task bar….. versus right mouse clicking the start menu.

Often in any operating system it’s not the big whoo hoo things (as I am not enterprise and thus can’t roll out on the E5 goodnesses).  Rather it’s the little things that make you go ooh I kinda like that.  Win 11’s taskbar was another of the little annoyances that added up to be annoying.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

I’m working on some Win2K systems this week. Surprising how much I have forgotten, but brings back some great memories!

Never Say Never

Often in any operating system it’s not the big whoo hoo things (as I am not enterprise and thus can’t roll out on the E5 goodnesses).  Rather it’s the little things that make you go ooh I kinda like that.

You should kinda like Win 11 22H2 Task Manager, and there are at least 12 different ways to open it.

I’m a bit more than “just want it to work”, as my main gig these days is publishing very high-res art photos and editing associated texts. The image files routinely come in at 500MB+, up to 1GB or so, which is why I use a Gigabyte Aero 15″ OLED laptop, full load of 64GB RAM, 10th Gen CPUs etc… so the OS needs to be solid and robust. Seems to me I’ll hang with Win10 for the moment, maybe wait to switch when I’ve got a couple of months between projects early next year. Thanks Susan and everyone for the guidance, can’t beat the AskWoody team &  engaged users! Cheers.

No idea friend, I’m in transit between Germany and Australia, I just popped it out there in case Martin Brinkmann provided some value-add to the MS notice, as he usually does. Might have to read it for yourself. Cheers

in case Martin Brinkmann provided some value-add to the MS notice

Not this time.

Ah, I get it… Apologies for wasting your time. Thanks for your earlier comment.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: Seeking opinions: Is now the time to switch from Win10Pro to Win11Pro?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: