Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Server 2016: Is the sysvol sync bug in July showing up in August?

Home Forums AskWoody blog Server 2016: Is the sysvol sync bug in July showing up in August?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 3 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

From @njmalm1: Has anyone else experienced their GPOs not syncing permissions after applying KB4338814 to Server 2016? We were getting the ACL error “
      [See the full post at: Server 2016: Is the sysvol sync bug in July showing up in August?]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #211215 Reply

anonymous
      • #211266 Reply

njmalm1
        AskWoody Lounger

Quick update…when removing kb4343887 from our test DC it crashed the server. We are now getting a blue screen. We did test removing the update from a generic Windows 2016 machine and that worked fine so I’m guessing the issues revolves around the system being a DC.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #211895 Reply

anonymous

Had there been any news regarding this issue.

I have seen nothing from Microsoft itself regarding this issue

• #213817 Reply

anonymous

After installing KB4343887 on server with AzureAD connect we could observe high CPU usage. Only removing of KB4343887 will help.

• #215770 Reply

njmalm1
      AskWoody Lounger

Has anyone else been able to reproduce these sysvol sync issues?  I tried to report the bug to Microsoft but they are telling me we don’t have the proper software assurance agreement to submit the case.  If anything I guess we’ll see if it is fixed in the September release next Tuesday.

• #217302 Reply

anonymous

We’re also having this issue. I just started to spin up new Server 2016 DC VMs to replace old  Server 2012 R2 DCs and was very confused when GPMC reported SysVol syncing issues. Since you already narrowed it down to an update, that helps tremendously. Do you also have Server 2012 R2 DCs in your environment?

Unfortunately, installing the newest September cumulative update did not fix it. I’m creating a new test environment to install two DCs from the February 2018 Server 2016 v1607  ISO to see if it’s happening from a clean install. I’m hoping that maybe everyone is having this issue but they don’t know it because using “Detect Now” in GPMC to discover this issue is a rare action.

• #217316 Reply

njmalm1
        AskWoody Lounger

Update from our side…I installed the September update KB4457131 yesterday on our test 2016 DC which in turn required the KB4103723 2018-05 update to be installed first. I then installed all the September patches for our Server 2012 test DC(KB4457140, KB4457919, KB4457135, KB4457915, and KB4457426). Once all of those updates completed the problem was resolved. I can now delete and create GPOs and run replication without any issues.

–Domain controller OS version breakdown–

Windows Server 2016 version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2485) Standard

Windows Server 2012 version 6.2 (Build 9200) Datacenter

Our functional level for both forest and domain is Windows 2012

• This reply was modified 5 days, 5 hours ago by  njmalm1.
        • This reply was modified 5 days, 1 hour ago by  Kirsty.
        • #217645 Reply

anonymous

Thank you so much for this newest information njmalm1! This solved our issue as well. Our old Server 2012 R2 DCs hadn’t been updated for a while, and the problem fixed itself after updating them to the September 2018 patches. I also needed to modify some of the stuck GPOs so they would replicate again, but everything is good after that. (I caused them to re-replicate by adding a user to the permissions and then removing it again)

Our forest and domain are set to Server 2012 R2, with two old Server 2012 R2 DCs and two new Server 2016 1607 DCs.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Server 2016: Is the sysvol sync bug in July showing up in August?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.