News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Setting Tabs (Word 2016)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  WSJon5 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

WSJon5
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi there –

This used to be so simple, but for some reason I can’t figure it out (or remember — old age!).

I’m having trouble setting the default space (or tab) between the number in a list and the first letter; this screenshot will explain:

46932-Untitled

Specifically, I’d like to make the space shorter. Any idea how to do that?

(The full Word doc is attached.)

Thanks a million!

Attachments:
    • #1593487 Reply

Andrew Lockton
      AskWoody_MVP

Have a look at this youtube video to get a solid background to tab stops
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4_X0783c8

• #1593490 Reply

WSCharles Kenyon
      AskWoody Lounger

You are using a list style for these paragraphs. After you modify the tab setting in one paragraph, click in a non-bold part of the paragraph, click on the style and tell Word to update. That will change the formatting in everything you’ve formatted using that style.

Since you’ve formatted a number of empty paragraphs using that style, you’ll have to go through and delete those numbers.

If you are going to be using Word much, I recommend reviewing all of Basic Concepts of Microsoft Word. It will save you grief.

• #1593636 Reply

WSJon5
      AskWoody Lounger

Andrew and Charles – Thank you very much!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Setting Tabs (Word 2016)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.