News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Setting the font for labels

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

This is with Word 2019 on win10.  I’m printing out a lot of mailing labels.  It all works fine, except: I can’t get the font and font size of the labels to be what I want.

I load addresses from a CSV file and the enter the field-codes for Company, Zip, etc in the appropropriate place in the first label and the “propagate to all labels”  .  So far, no text has been involved and I’ve not had an opportunity to say anything about the font.  then I complete the mail merge and then do “edit the labels in a new document”.. and the font’s wrong, but I haven’t found a way to change it.  I can fix the labels one at a time {not great for 200 labels :)} and if I try ctrl-A to select all the font is grayed out and I can’t do anything with it.  {indeed: the font that Word uses is too large and the addresses don’t fit in the labels}    I must be missing something because this *has* to be easy.

• #2306924 Reply
        Kirsty
        Da Boss

Word’s label attributes have always been something of an issue. I’ve usually found that Mailings>Labels, then after selecting the label format required, using New Document to bring up the grid, where you can then set your font as you wish, and check on other formatting.

This is a generic Word answer, as I’ve not tried it in your version/OS combination. It may help?

• #2307869 Reply
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

Assuming you are using the ‘Start Mail Merge’ with your labels, have you tried using the Address Block option with your CSV file?

Once the Address Block wording appears in the label, you can highlight it and use the ‘Mini Toolbar’, if you have it showing, to format the font.

You can also opt to ‘Select All’ (Ctrl + A) and use the font formatting via the Home tab.

Click the image below to see a short video of my label font formatting.

I have also shown an image being placed in the first label that gets repeated in all the labels.

Moderator note: video removed for privacy reasons.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Moonshine.
        • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by PKCano.
      • #2307897 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

That’s very interesting.  I always use “step by step” because I use labels so infrequently that I use the step-by-step rather than using the direct label commands.   I”ll see if I can figure out how to use them [instead of the hand-holding way I do now]   Thanks!

• #2307905 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

Inspired by what you posted I solved my problem!!   I can’t use <<ADDRESS BlOCK>> because my mailing list is a CSV file with a zillion fields.    So what I do in my step-by-step is that I “insert field” to put the fields from the CSV file that I need with appropriate punctuation, etc..   But the key thing I saw was that the fields in the labels have a font property!   So — after I insert my fields and get the format of the label just-right, I can select all the fields and text and then a standard font dialogue pops up and I can change the font size [the font too, I think] and copy to all labels and it all works.

I never knew that the inserted fields had a font property… :o)  Thanks!

• #2307928 Reply
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

You are welcome.

If you trimmed down your CSV file with the entries that you want and will use, the Address Block may be beneficial to you.

My example CSV file below shows only the bare minimum that I want. Different users will have different/more entries as required.

Moderator note: Graphic removed for privacy reasons to protect actual individuals.

• #2307938 Reply
        Moonshine
        AskWoody Lounger

FYI – the image of the CSV file that you have removed showed 100%, fictitious, made up people and address information.

They do not exist.

• #2307940 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Thanks for the heads up.
          If that is the case, please feel free to repost it.
          Please make that clear when you post similar items.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Setting the font for labels

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.