News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Setting Up Alternate Email Account for Mailing List and Newsletters

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Outlook and email programs Setting Up Alternate Email Account for Mailing List and Newsletters

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Parker 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

There’s a mailing list I need to subscribe to for an academic word processor I use, plus there’s a handful of email newsletters I need to subscribe to.

I’ve been forwarding my iCloud emails to WebMate due to the amount of junk mail I’ve been getting on iCloud, and Apple doesn’t have a way to permanently block junk mail in iCloud (only report it), whereas with WebMate, I have full blocking capabilities and a far better junk filter. Since having my iCloud emails forwarded to my WebMate email account, the mailing list and a handful of newsletters have been bouncing during the iCloud handoff to WebMate. I’ve heard iCloud is notorious for not handling email forwarding correctly.

Some of the newsletters I’ve been able to either get to successfully forward to WebMate after whitelisting their email addresses in WebMate or re-signing up for the newsletters using my WebMate email address. However, the mailing list is still bouncing, and there’s a handful that bounces.

I tried to move the mailing list to my school Exchange account, but it’s a no go there either.

For this mailing list and the few remaining newsletters I need to read, I’m wondering if I should do one of these:

1. Signup for a dedicated Gmail account for them
      2. Signup for a dedicated Outlook.com free account for them
      3. Signup for another third-party email account for them

Gmail would likely work, but I’m not a huge Google fan when it comes to privacy. Outlook.com might be a little better, and there’s always another third-party, but that might incur an extra cost onto what I’m paying now for WebMate and iCloud storage.

Before I settled into a solution, I was curious as to what the AskWoody community would recommend, and when it comes to free email accounts, does the community prefer Gmail or Outlook.com, and is it better to use a free email account for this purpose or purchase a third-party account? There’s nothing major I’d be sending over the accounts that would be a privacy concern (no financial information and nothing that wouldn’t be an issue if made public), but with all the recent social media privacy issues going on, I’m now at the point where I like to think through before I jump into some of these tools.

Nathan Parker

• #1357568 Reply

hyppolyte
      AskWoody Plus

Hello Nathan

Some thoughts:

While iCloud is a wonderful email provider in terms of privacy and no advertising, it has the junk mail and forwarding limitations you mention. Also a limit of 3 aliases.

Both Microsoft and Google give rise to concerns about data collection and advertising.
      If you access them through Mac Mail or the excellent free mail-client app Spark by Readdle  (iOS, MacOS and Android) the advertising is not there.

I use ad blockers in my browsers with good results. Except Microsoft reminds me that I am using an ad-blocker and that I would not need one if I upgrade to the paid version.

Gmail is easy to set up and setting rules/filters is very transparent.
      With the demise of Google+ for personal accounts, security has been improved.
      You can set your google account to retain very little data.

Outlook has the great option of creating many aliases, and selecting which will be the primary anytime.
      You can also mark any aliases you do not wish to be able to log in with. You can ask Microsoft to delete collected data manually in your account.

Both have 2 factor authentication with either SMS or through an authenticator app. I like the free Authy by Twilio at https://authy.com/

Setting Outlook filters and rules feels more cumbersome than with Gmail, at least in the free version.

As your requirements are for newsletters and other non-critical emails that you wish to foward to your WebMate, Gmail has easy to understand email account Settings and forwarding to multiple accounts using filters.

I prefer iCloud for my personal and financials.

I prefer Gmail for newsletters and other bulk-mailing. Google sign-in for some organisationa and apps is actually a boon to privacy.

I prefer Outlook for forays into new territory or shopping because of the wonderful alias set-up.

hyppolyte

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1367686 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Great info. I’ll compare Gmail and Outlook (I may spin up both test accounts) and see which one I want to use for these.

I would be accessing my emails 99% of the time through clients (Mail or Outlook) and only occasionally dipping into webmail. I also use an ad blocker (Adamant on Safari, Ad Block Plus everywhere else).

For 2FA, I use the feature in 1Password which works great, and I would enable it on the accounts.

Nathan Parker

• #1369983 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

On the Mac I use Mail for everything that I send out by email, including files of up to several MB sometimes, as attachments. Outlook I use only at a government place to do email using the server there, because it is the thing to do in that place. I still have an old Gmail account, since the days when it was still being tested and one needed a recommendation from one that was already a user. But I have not used it directly for years, as I never opened a Google account, because I did not like the idea of joining Google+, so I kept it just as an alternative address set up to redirect incoming mail to my Verizon home address and to be able to give it, when necessary, instead of my home email address. That arrangement also comes useful, sometimes, when people from a university in Spain (always the same one) try to write to me and then we all discover that their university site has been blacklisted by Verizon, again!, no one ever knows why. Same problem with an old Japanese friend that teaches at a university in Japan. The black listing mysteriously comes and goes, but thanks to Gmail we can still write back and forth and generally keep in touch with each other.

Reading the following from hyppolyte: ” Gmail is easy to set up and setting rules/filters is very transparent. With the demise of Google+ for personal accounts, security has been improved. ” I might finally open a Google account and start using Gmail directly, after all these years.

• #1372073 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

This may be a moot non-starter, but —
      Add a[nother] sub-account at your ISP; create combination filter and forwarding rules.
      Ex. At server/ISP level, whitelist and/or add ‘JUNK’ prefix. At client level, filter out ‘JUNK’ in Subject.

This assumes that your ISP has implicit/included email address, and that it supports this functionality.

• #1384340 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Speaking of ISPs, Verizon used to be my ISP. It did provide an email service and that was OK (except for the occasional blacklistings I have mentioned). My ISP is now days AOL. AOL was bought by Verizon some two years ago and then Verizon offloaded its email service to them. They are not a very organized service, and I prefer, as learned from experience, to keep away as much as possible from them and not to login to my account at their site to set up or fix anything from there, or use their User Support people (friendly enough, if a little on the wacky side, but not as helpful as they aspire to be) unless I am compelled into such action by some life or death situation. I just use their service to send and receive mails from home, business and personal, and try not to think too much about it.

In the Mac, Mail works well with AOL, although it has developed some quirky habits since they took over, such as, among others, announcing that I have twice as many mails waiting to be read as there really are.

Also, unlike Verizon, where I could control from home how long copies of my mail could remain in their server before being deleted, AOL keeps all of them forever (or until its accumulated volume reaches the total storage space allocated for my use). Which is a bit of a worry in these days of PRISM and the spectacular looting of servers and data bases chock full of personal information. But at least I can get in there and delete them. They are already saved on my PCs hard disk anyway.

• #1384888 Reply

Nathan Parker
          AskWoody_MVP

I have Verizon for wireless service, and I forgot they own Yahoo and AOL (which is an option if I wanted email from the same company as my wireless carrier), although the services are likely inferior to Outlook and GMAIL.

Nathan Parker

• #1378537 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Unfortunately, my ISP does not offer ISP-hosted email accounts. They’re just broadband only since they’re local and don’t want to get into all of that.

With WebMate (which is a UK ISP, but since I’m in the US, I only use them for hosting), I’ve whitelisted the email addresses that were bouncing on the handoff from iCloud to WebMate, plus re-signed up with those places directly using my WebMate email. Most are coming over, but a few still aren’t (one is even having issues going to my school address), so it’s for those few emails I can’t get to go to the email accounts I use I need to spin up some form of additional account for them.

Nathan Parker

• #1408430 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I just made a rather disturbing find: in my Mail-stored received emails (the IN box list), the ones I have received since I started using the Mac, in June of 2017, until early January of this year, have disappeared. On the other hand, the ones I have sent since June 2017 to this day are still listed.

I a wondering if this is something that Mail has caused, or it is something that AOL has done and purged what I thought was being saved on my hard disk and not to be touched by anyone coming in from outside my home.

Whatever the reason, I would definitely appreciate some advice on how to make sure this does not happen again.

I could, perhaps, find where the received mails are kept in my Mac, even if temporarily, and put those somewhere else. Or they might still be somewhere in the Time Machine external hard disk.

One problem with moving emails from here to there in bulk, is that the “subject” in the name of the individual email files gets lost to be replaced by a cryptic string of characters, mostly numbers if I remember correctly, that tell me nothing about their contents or who sent them, making them nearly useless to me. Perhaps there is a way around it, other than digging through reams of mysterious messages until I found the one am looking for?

(The latter issue is also something that happens with Windows mails, at least for users of Webmail like myself.)

• #1409268 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

By the way, it seems the mailing list is now going to my WebMate email, so I may be able to use it there without needing to create another address, which would be nice. I’ll monitor it and see.

For OscarCP, were the emails in your inbox or somewhere else? Are you connecting to AOL using IMAP or POP?

I’ll ponder this and report back with more details.

Nathan Parker

• #1412005 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan Parker:

AOL’s host server (for my Mac) is IMAP  AOL gives absolutely no other details when I try to find any particulars for my account, after being made to login to it in with my password and user name.

The emails were in the Mail inbox. Maybe also in the Time Machine external drive?

But that is not all: I receive all emails simultaneously both in my Mac and my Windows 7 PC. The whole set of received emails, from 2011 (when I bought the Windows 7 PC), is still in the inbox of “Live Mail” in the PC. And there, the information about the account settings is also different:

Incoming: POP3 ; outgoing: SMTP.

I know that the servers were still the same Verizon ones when AOL took over from Verizon, and probably still are. Otherwise my “Live Mail” email account would not work in the Windows PC.

On the other hand, I got the AOL account for the Mac when I got the Mac, in June 2017. My Mac “Mail” inbox was listing all messages from then to the present until recently but, as already explained no longer are all of them there, only those from early this year.

But only the received mails are missing in the Mac; the ones I have sent, all the way back to June of 2017, are still available in Mail.

• #1414599 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

For one quick overview of POP vs IMAP, see here.

What appears to be the case is that your AOL server has deleted the emails prior to January. But do a Search for [ aol deleted my emails ], and similar, for a slight possibility for re-instatement. The POPed emails on your Windows PC now are your only copy for-sure. I don’t think that there is any way to back-move them to AOL.

Also Search [ aol mail storage limit ].

It is advisable not to leave super-large quantities (or of large emails) in an Inbox. Create user-defined mail folders, and move mails from the Inbox to a logical user-mail folder. Think of how you have your Documents folders defined (and sub-defined) in Windows. It makes it much easier to locate any email of interest.

SMTP (sent) emails are stored in a different folder.

Should we continue this discussion in a new thread? We’re getting off-topic here on Mr. Parker’s subject.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #1417802 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

PaulK: My most sincere and enthusiastic Thanks! for the link to the POP vs. IMAP Web page. The information there explains very well what has happened with the mails that disappeared from my inbox in the Mac and why that has not happened in my Windows PC. That information also gives me an incentive to do all mi future correspondence via Gmail, where one can choose to use a POP server that lets the user keep the received emails in the user’s computer.

I still have one question pending about moving emails in bulk from, for example, the inbox to some other place without loosing the names of the files that explain what the emails are about and also information on the date when the mail was received and from whom.I think that it only requires a simple answer, in the light of what I explain below. With that, I’ll be completely done with this issue.

I am coping the emails from the inbox (while the originals stay there) to a folder in Mail that is called Verizon/Saved. There is also another like it called AOL/Saved.

Rather than to start a separate thread just for this question, I would like to know, if he does not mind that, whether in Nathan Parker’s opinion, copying the received mails to the Saved/Verizon folder will keep those copies in the Mac, regardless of what AOL does in their IMAP server with them. That would be perfect, because those saved emails still have all the necessary information to identify them. This will not bring back the ones that are already gone, deleted by AOL (only in the Mac, not in the Windows PC) and only assuming that they are not already saved in Time Machine, which will be really the ultimate solution.

• #1418220 Reply

Elly
            AskWoody MVP

Hello @OscarCP-

Although your questions are related to e-mail and Macs, they are not directly related to the original poster’s question. Please try and stay on topic in this thread, and start a new topic with the question(s) that apply directly to your situation.

You don’t have to go change things now, since it seems you may have been answered… but when prompted to start a new topic, please don’t try for one more question… ?

@Nathan Parker is a great resource for information on Macs, but in this case he’s the one looking for answers. Please respect that.

Thank you!

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #1418582 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Elly, I completely agree; I just missed the fact (obvious to everyone else here, it seems),that the topic is on a very specific aspect of emails, not generally about them. And, although this may be a totally irrelevant argument, I am not asking one more question…

But your point is well taken.

• #1418947 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Since my original question has been answered well, I’ll go ahead and as a courtesy respond to Oscar’s question (although it is best in the future to split things into separate threads to make it easier for users to search for answers). Don’t forget that if you happen to make a post you want me to look at that I don’t happen to read, sending me a PM directing me to the post is a great way for me to look at it.

Time Machine likely has a copy of your lost emails if you’ve been backing up with Time Machine for a while. Check this out: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/time-machine-lost-email/

Time Machine may even have them on the backup drive directly itself if the first restore process doesn’t work. Here’s where they’d be stored on both your Mac and when entering Time Machine to browse your drive: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4584612

Once you have the emails in hand, you can import them back into macOS Mail. You can then either drop them back on AOL, drop them on a totally different account (I have moved email archives from one account to another in the past), or you can choose to store them just on your Mac and not sync them with a mail server (although Time Machine would still back them up) https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22318?locale=en_US

See Also:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/move-or-copy-mailboxes-mlhlp1231/mac

https://www.howtogeek.com/409264/how-to-create-or-delete-mailboxes-in-mail-on-mac/

I did read that AOL is notorious for hitting some form of limit with your inbox, so that’s likely what happened.

I don’t store any of my emails on my Mac only (I store them in IMAP with WebMate or on Exchange for work and school).

However, I keep very little in my inbox. I only keep stuff in my inbox (and I usually flag it) that I need to actively work on in a short amount of time. Stuff I need to keep for extended periods of time I move to Archive. Stuff I don’t need I delete. I try to be as minimal as possible since I get a ton of emails. I could get fancier with multiple folders, etc., but I’ve found the simpler the better.

Nathan Parker

• #1423852 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Nathan Parker,

Thank you so much for you advice, and it is great to learn that Time Machine has been keeping all my emails all along.

I agree that it would be ideal putting this discussion on disappearing mails from a Mac, consisting of several contributions and voices, in a different place, maybe in “macOS for Windows Wonks” and perhaps call it:”The case of the disappearing emails”. But I don’t know how to do that. Maybe you could find out and, if there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

• #1427761 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Glad to assist. In this case, I wouldn’t know how to separate the threads. That’d be up to the admins. Glad I was able to assist with answering your question though.

Nathan Parker

• #1474851 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Nathan, fyi in case you need to reconsider:

does the community prefer Gmail or Outlook.com

I would be accessing my emails 99% of the time through clients (Mail or Outlook)

I’ve use both, accessed only via Outlook desktop client, for many years. Both are top-class, I doubt there’s another service to match them. They made my spam problem disappear, without the usual accompanying raft of false positives—that was my main criterion, as I used to get flooded since my business email addresses had to be public.

I can’t comment on their web interfaces, as I don’t have the extra time to use email that way. Eg sometimes I’ll get a Gmail, and want to respond with my Outlook [or another hosted biz account] address—just one click to change the From. Also, I much prefer all email coming into one Inbox, with Outlook rules distributing it to various folders if I wish. Far more efficient for me.

I use POP accounts, and leave on server until deleted from my PC—this gives me a no-effort offsite backup of all emails I keep.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #1489776 Reply

Nathan Parker
      AskWoody_MVP

Sounds great. Great to know if I get into a point where I need it again. Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Setting Up Alternate Email Account for Mailing List and Newsletters

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.