News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Setting Up Tasks

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve done this without issue in the past, but now…

When I set up a task, and then exit, I am asked for a User name and Password.

I must be doing something wring in my format, because I enter my user name and password, and am then told “the specified account name is invalid.”

I tried just the user name, CWBillow.  I tried the machine name\user name,

HP-Laptop\CWBillow.  Didn’t like either of those.

What is it I am missing here?

Chuck Billow

• #2300215 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Misspelling of Username!  Sorry bout the flap!

Chuck Billow

• #2300252 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I’m assuming that your talking about Task Scheduler.  When you create a task, the username is pre-filled in the first dialog box.  I always run Task Scheduler as administrator, so that pre-filled username is the computer\username, in my case, DH87RL10A\Admin.

When you finish setting up the task and click OK, you’re asked for a username and password.  It’s the pre-filled username, but you can leave off the computer name, in my case, Admin and then the password.

Is that what you’re talking about?

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2304048 Reply
        CWBillow
        AskWoody Lounger

Yes, and it worked! Thanks.

Chuck Billow

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Setting Up Tasks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.